Lost line and lost buddy drills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vioch why don't you just take a GUE cave course?

The basics are the same with NACD (afterall JJ and many of the other GUE cave instructors were with NACD at one time). However there are a few points in Jim Wyatt's description that are a bit cursory and maybe miss the whole picture (I'm confident his actual lecture on the topic is probably more thorough). Mostly re: searching off the line for a lost buddy rather soon and without ample evidence (bubbles, silt etc) and the uniqueness of the lost diver tie in (if you have been to MX you'd know people mark and jump off lines in all sorts of crazy ways).

Last edited:
I agree with Richard. There's nothing in Jim's writeup that contradicts what I was taught for either drill, but I was taught a great deal more about the lost buddy drill than is contained in his essay.

As others wrote, we were advised a lot about getting different clues before starting search and some additional steps, like searching for buddy along the line before going of, tying secondary tie for direction reference when searching the line, different search patterns etc. The cave and the class make the best environment to learn this.

However there are a few points in Jim Wyatt's description that are a bit cursory and maybe miss the whole picture (I'm confident his actual lecture on the topic is probably more thorough).
Thanks for pointing this out. The article I wrote for UWS & comments on Scubaboard were meant to reiterate the highlights for cave divers already trained for these procedures in class and in the cave by a cave instructor.

Thanks for pointing this out. The article I wrote for UWS & comments on Scubaboard were meant to reiterate the highlights for cave divers already trained for these procedures in class and in the cave by a cave instructor.

As you know, despite all advice to the contrary, people will still try to figure this stuff out on the internet :shocked2: :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom