Lost diver found on rocks - Barragga Bay, New South, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Other news stories mention him spear fishing and a scuba diver, but hides details behind paywall.

Man's body recovered at Cuttagee Beach near Bermagui
A man's body, believed to be of a diver who went missing at Barragga Bay on Friday morning, was found after midday on Saturday, police said in a statement.

NSW Police were told the man went diving about 8.15am on Friday with a family member and were alerted about 10am when the man failed to return.

A search led by police divers was suspended at 7pm on Friday, after the Surf Life Saving helicopter suspended its search earlier in the afternoon.

The search resumed on Saturday morning with assistance from police divers, marine rescue, the State Emergency Service and Surf Life Saving.

The body of the man, believed to be aged 57, was found on rocks south of Cuttagee Beach near Barragga Point and was yet to be formally identified, police said in a statement.

A report will be prepared for the coroner.

Spearfisher. Illegal to take anything in NSW on scuba.

The missing spearfisherman was my brother, who disappeared abruptly during our dive on Friday morning.

I need to complete a detailed report with NSW Police on Monday, so cannot comment further until that time.

Our family would like to recognise the extraordinary efforts undertaken by the NSW State Emergency Service, Far South Coast Lifesaving, Marine Rescue, NSW Police and the Marine Area Command, Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter and NSW Ambulance in a complex multidisciplinary operation.

We thank you all most sincerely for the professionalism, effectiveness and kindness shown by all officers in this very difficult time for us...

I am so sad for the loss of your brother to you and all of your family.

Thanks for all your kind words and support... I taught Bruce how to snorkel at the same dive site when he was 14.
Still trying to process it all but just when you think things couldn’t get any worse fate has one more cruel twist.
Major bushfires near Bermagui and across the far south coast region.
We were without fuel, power, phones internet for past 4 days... no comms at all!
On advice of Rural Fire Service and SES I have evacuated extended family (incl Sam the Border Collie!) to Tathra staying at friend of my other brother Ross.
Arrived an hour ago.
So we are safe at present but worse to come 42C and high winds forecast tomorrow.
Will continue to monitor and may need to move family further to Bega or even Eden if it really gets bad for evacuation via Navy like what happened at Mallacoota.
Have fuel food and multiple exit plans if it all turns bad tomorrow.
Keep you posted...
G

Back
Top Bottom