Error Losing Your Group - Lessons to be Learned

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by the diver, buddy, crew, or anyone else in the "chain".

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
This is excerpted from the Roatan trip report but I think it underscores a valuable lesson and want to make sure you see it, so I’m copying it here as well.

We dove two wrecks over the course of the week, the El Aguila and the Odyssey. I like the El Aguila, although it’s somewhat deep bottoming out at a little over 100 feet. It’s got a decent amount of fish and sponges on it, plus it’s adjacent to a nice reef where you end the dive. The Odyssey is a big wreck (some 300+ feet long – that’s the length of a football field), also deep (around 115 feet), and was the site of an embarrassing personal experience when I lost the entire group. This was totally my fault but also can serve as a good lesson to those of you who are photographers.

The plan on this wreck was to drop down on the stern area and superstructure, go inside and then up the five interior decks (you can see out the entire time and there’s always an exit nearby), and then make our way down the length of the vessel to the bow. I don’t recall us saying exactly where we were going to end the dive, but there’s a reef perhaps 50 feet in front of the bow.

I didn’t want to penetrate the superstructure so I made my up the outside and could see the divers inside. John emerged and led everyone forward along the edge of the wreck, where we found a small halibut in the sand. We continued towards the bow, which was sort of bent and pointing upright. I ducked under and inside the pointy end to see if there was anything worthwhile and came across an interesting red sponge as well as a lionfish and shot them both.

According to my photo data, I spent no more than three minutes under the bow. And when I came out . . . uh-oh . . . there was no one in sight. I thought perhaps they had moved on ahead to the reef in front of us so that’s the way I headed. Nobody. I looked back and could see maybe 100 feet. Didn’t see anyone along the length of the ship. Where could they have gone? I looked up. Nope. I looked around again. Nada. So I figured I had somehow screwed this up and decided to abort the dive – we were about 20 minutes in to a planned 30-minute dive at this point – and ascend to 20 feet, trying to see if I could spot any bubbles as I rose.

I also now had to choose where to surface. I started my ascent around the reef but wasn’t too keen on coming up in an area that could have boat traffic. But then I noticed that there was a boat tied up to the mooring line at the bow of the wreck. I could clearly see the bottom of the boat and knew it wasn’t ours – it had two engines whereas we had one – but I also know it’s safer to surface near a boat, even if it’s not yours, than it is to surface in open water. I figured once I got to the surface, I’d be able to see where our boat was and swim over. No biggee.

I was about 4 minutes into my planned 5-minute safety stop when I glanced again down the length of the wreck and thought I saw a hint of yellow. As I looked that way, it was John, coming to look for me. (He wears a bright yellow rash guard and bright yellow pants to make himself more visible.) I gave him an OK sign, he returned same and motioned towards the stern of the boat which is where the group had gone. Everyone was now hanging on the stern mooring line doing their safety stop. I joined them and we finished the dive.

Once back on boat, I was obviously teased about what happened by took ownership of the situation. And there are valuable lessons to learn here for anyone.

As most of you know, I dive all the time, am comfortable diving by myself, and have plenty of dives under my weightbelt. (6,000+ if anyone’s curious.) But even an experienced diver can make a mistake and do something that separates them from the group. Even more so when you’re a photographer, since we tend to want to stop and take some shots, and the group won’t always – nor should they – feel like they have to stop while we get the proverbial perfect shot.

So ESPECIALLY if you’re a photog, you have an obligation and responsibility to know where the group is heading and, once you’re done shooting, head in that direction and catch up. There’s certainly an adage in diving that, when diving as a group, you want to move at the pace of the slowest diver. In other words, if someone is generally a slow kicker (or you’re a fast kicker), you match the speed of the slowest member. You don’t force them to go faster. But that’s under “normal” circumstances.

Being a photog throws “normal” out the window at times because we know the photog is going to stop frequently and deliberately. That doesn’t mean the group leader won’t take that into account at times. But it also means if you’re going to spend 10 minutes photoing a fascinating nudibranch – or in this case, three minutes shooting a sponge and lionfish – it’s not the group’s duty to wait for you.

The other interesting perspective that this brings up – and this is a discussion I’ve had over the years with many divers and guides and where there is no easy or “right” answer – is that everyone on the boat, even John, said some variation of, “We knew you were OK because we know you’re a good diver.” Well, yes but no.

Even “good” divers can get into trouble. And it can be dangerous to assume that everything’s OK. For all anyone knew, I’d had a heart attack and was lying on the bottom. Or maybe I’d gotten stuck in the bow and was slowly running out of air trying to free myself. Or perhaps I’d had serious leg cramps that made it impossible to kick and I needed someone to come assist.

When a diver goes missing, there’s no real way to know what the reason was. You hope it’s benign as it was in my case. But, especially if you’re a dive guide as well as if you’re “just” a dive buddy, assuming the worst can mean the difference between saving someone’s life or just getting a good scare. There’s no perfect answer. Do you look for them on the bottom, inside the wreck (in this case), or on the surface? Because, especially if it’s a case of someone unconscious underwater, you don’t have a lot of time (perhaps 4-6 minutes if a diver’s not breathing) to find them and help create a successful outcome.

There’s no easy answer in any of this nor any “perfect” methodology. In this case, I just gave everyone a scare (for which I was truly sorry and repentant). But it’s a good lesson for all divers of any skill level or experience, and that’s why I wanted to share it here.

Good to share, glad it was just a scare. Three quick questions i had after reading.

was there on the briefing mentioned what to do if you lose the group/group loses you? Did you have a dedicated buddy or was everyone everyones buddy, and last, what did the group do when they missed you?

Kudos for sharing your story..... These kinds of posts have great value... Glad it all worked out OK.

Personally, I think that if there was no pre-dive "agreement" or briefing on procedures in a separation scenario, then everyone in that group is at fault.

I also think this is another great reason to be equipped and trained as a Solo Diver.

I pretty much dive with the same buddy all the time and unless otherwise discussed and agreed, our procedure in the event of separation is......."get your limit and we'll seeya back on the boat in about an hour"

Three quick questions i had after reading.
(1) Was there on the briefing mentioned what to do if you lose the group/group loses you?
(2) Did you have a dedicated buddy or was everyone everyones buddy, and
(3) Last, what did the group do when they missed you?
(1) No. By the same token, the "group" consisted of a total of 4 divers (including me) and the DM/guide.
(2) I did not have a specific buddy (nor did I want one). Another couple was a buddy team and the other diver stuck close to the DM/guide.
(3) As i said in the article, they assumed I was OK. But the DM parked them on the mooring line for their safety stop and then came back looking for me.

(1) No. By the same token, the "group" consisted of a total of 4 divers (including me) and the DM/guide.
(2) I did not have a specific buddy (nor did I want one). Another couple was a buddy team and the other diver stuck close to the DM/guide.
(3) As i said in the article, they assumed I was OK. But the DM parked them on the mooring line for their safety stop and then came back looking for me.
Thx. I think one of the lessons to take away, next to what you already mentioned, is discussing beforehand what to do if group gets split up. Tempting to not do anymore if its a dive everybody has done before or a group who dives often together (been there done that). But this example reminds that also then it can happen and its a good habit to reinforce.

I like doing the occasion video or photo shoot - i ether do it solo or make sure the person im with is happy to follow along or be a model - if they dont no problem il go solo or find someone else.

What really gets me riled up however is divers with camera rigs that assume its all about them - that they will stop and take as many photos as they want and just expect you to be there as a buddy. Add on to that is those that want to be first so they can get a good shot before everyone else turns up, like they have some special importance that carrying a camera gives them.

it doesnt take much to coordinate these things and its give and take but ive heard stories of divers want to go to get a shot and tell everyone they aren't allowed to go to that area until they've finished. Which works ok if your spending several dives in the same spot but more often than not you move to the next spot and miss your chance

NB not an attack on the OP - just an observation of some camera people

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom