Los Rocas Resort (Comments or other Recommendation)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sefuchs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife & I will be in staying at AKR 3/20 to 3/27 but I need to find a place from 3/17 to 3/20 (AKR is full). Want a beachfront location with snorkeling and would love shore diving. The bigger resorts (like Coco View) require 7 night stays. I don't need fancy - but A/C and clean is a must and don't want to spend a ton of $$ for a 3 nights. I'm looking at Los Rocas Resort - any recommendation/comments about Los Rocas or something similar?

We've stayed & dove with Las Rocas several times, great place. Very small beach area, it is named "las rocas":). Cabins are sparse but nice & cool. The small restaurant/bar has good food, but you'd better like Italian. The place is owned by Italians. Go for it!

Las Rocas is one of our favorite places on Roatan! Yes, the food is GREAT - we love it. The diving is pretty great as well. And we just love those Italian owners :heart:

Thx for the input - I booked 3 nights at Los Rocas. Looks like my kind of hang out!

It's been 10 yrs since I was at Roatan and was only there for 1 week at AKR so don't know the area well. Do you think The Los Rocas dive shop goes to the same dive sites as AKR?

They are in the same vicinity, but closer to the west end of the island, making sites like the famous (and my favorite) "Texas" more readily available.

The dive shop owners will be happy to work with you. Let them know you will be transferring to AKR and you would like to check out some of the sites closer to Las Rocas. I will go and search my logbook and let you know what sites we dove when we were there.

We dove "Texas", "Eddie's Place" and "West End Wall" the last time we visited Las Rocas. These sites are closer to the resort and they were all awesome. We had spent the previous week aboard the Roatan Aggressor and were pretty wiped out. Just wanted to get in a few extra dives in that area.

The trip before that, we dove "Mandy's Eel Garden", "Jumping Jack", "Sea Quest", "El Aguilla", "Tabyana" (great dive!), "Lighthouse Point", "Blue Channel", "Spookie Channel", "Peter's Place", "Gibson Bight", "Aquarium", "Black Rock", "Canyon Reef", "Bikini Bottom", "Dixie", "Hole in the Wall", "Butcher's Bank", "Temptation" and "Pablo's Place" (another spectacular dive).

Here is the AKR dive site map. You can evaluate which sites are closer to them.
AKR Dive Site Map.jpg

My suggestion would be that while you're at Las Rocas, try to dive Pablo's Place, Texas and West End Wall for sure, along with whatever else you decide. Of course everything will be wind/weather dependent. AKR usually sets aside one day to take you over to Mary's Place on the south side and will do the obligatory stop at their private island so you can have time for a little retail therapy.

Many here have much more experience with this side of the island and will give you more input. I know you will have a great time! Hope you'll come back and tell us about your trip :)

@CajunDiva - thx so much for your input. I'll take your advice (weather permitting) and hit your favorite sites. I need to do some homework to get familair with the diving in Roatan. Getting anxious to start (scuba) traveling again assuming Covid will settle down. Felt so good to book travel to Coz this fall then Roatan in the spring. Wanted to book a LOB to Indonesia next summer but putting that on hold until there is a clearer picture on travel in the "new normal". Thx again.

You will love being back in Roatan. Las Rocas is perfectly situated to allow you an opportunity to do a bit of exploring. We all have our personal preferences, but my recommendation would be two morning dives each morning at Las Rocas and afternoons off to play. (Since you'll be spending the following week at AKR to dive, dive, dive!) You'll be right at the end of West Bay Beach, so it's easy to stroll down one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean and explore the many restaurants and resorts along the way. Our package at Las Rocas included breakfast, so we ate breakfast there, did our morning dives, then felt free to explore. You can grab a water taxi directly from the dock at Las Rocas for a ride over to West End, where you can check out another "touristy" area of the island. Lots of good places to eat, drink and be merry :wink: If you have not experienced the west end of the island beyond a stay at AKR previously, Las Rocas is perfectly situated to allow you to do so. If you don't feel like exploring, you certainly won't feel deprived dining at Las Rocas. The food is REALLY great!

I hope your Indonesia trip works out. If you feeling like chatting about it, send me a PM. We were there a few years ago and I love to tell dive stories :p

Good choice on Las Rocas! The only other place we have stayed at other than AKR on Roatan is Las Rocas. Good folks that take care of you. Food is fantastic and you are close to West Bay if you want other dining. Very close to the great dive sites mentioned. I would throw in Key Hole as another good dive site. Enjoy!

Thx for your input. I'm feeling really good about choosing Las Rocas and can't wait to get there. Hopefully Covid will let up and let these countries/places get back to business (survival). Hard to imagine how some of these places are getting by without the tourist dollars

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom