Los Cabos (JSD) airport transportation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disco King

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Has any one have taken a shared van at SJD airport without booking OR being dropped off at a hotel you did not actually stay?

My liveaboard departs from Cabo San Lucas to Socorros on Jan 25. Planning to stay at 'airbnb' in CSL for a couple of nights prior to the liveaboard departure (booked one day scuba class to skill up and snorkeling with Whalesharks in La Paz).

I would like to take a shared shuttle (not private or taxi due to cost) from SJD to CSL. The shuttle operator I contacted informed me that they can drop off at a near by hotel (Mar De Cortez) from the airbnb I am staying. Since I am not staying there I am wonderding whether it would create any complexity (hotel property perspective as I am not their guest).

I shared my concerns with my airbnb host. He said do not book a shittle. Just look for a kiosk(?) outside of the terminal. I can find a shuttle to his house 'without' reservation. Price is fixed, $17. Has any one taken shuttle without reservation? Never been to SJD so not sure whether this is a legitamate option. Anything to consider?

Another concern is return. My pick up is at Cabo Pedreagal hotel which is different from drop off (I am staying one night at a hotel after the liveaboard trip). The shuttle operator I contacted booking has to be one way from the airport or round trip. They can't book one way return to the airport due to taxi union regulations. If any one has done one way shuttle from CSL to SJD, would you please let me know how it works?

I have been struggling with airport shuttle arrangement. While I am excited for Socorros, I am a little nervous about going to Mexico where I am not familiar with how things work. I would like to iron things out before I get there. Will appreciate if you would share your experience.

Easy one first: The Hotel Mar de Cortes entrance is right on the sidewalk of Lazaro Cardenas Avenue. It is not like the shuttle driver has to drive thru a gate to get to the hotel's main entrance some distance away . So I don't think you will be frowned upon for getting off there without being a hotel guest. Do you know how far a walk to your airbnb if dropped off at the Mar de Cortes?

The other thing that you need to figure out - if you haven't already - is where your liveaboard is and how to get to it on the day you board.

I haven't had to go find a shuttle on my own in recent years because the liveaboard that I use (Solmar V) provides our transfers to CSL as part of our charter package. The outfit that they use is called Cabo Seasons - we are emailed vouchers beforehand to present to the shuttle driver. But to get to them or to whichever outfit you decide to go with, it is vital that you be aware that after getting your bags and clearing Customs, you will navigate thru a gauntlet of Timeshare salespeople offering you everything but the kitchen sink. Put your game face on and keep walking - fast. I usually keep going until I make it to the outside.

But if you do not have a voucher in hand, ie, no reservation, I recall from my earlier trips that after the Timeshare booths, there were a number of kiosks for shuttles or taxis. It is here that you should ask about a ride to the airbnb. The way it used to work was that you pay the fixed price, they give you a voucher, and you take that outside and look for the shuttle personnel. Be forewarned also that the concept of the shuttle is that they need to have X number of passengers before they leave, and depending on where the other people are getting off, there may be multiple stops before you get to your place. You will be very lucky if you make it to your place in less than an hour.

The one-way back to the airport not being provided due to taxi union regulations is new to me. Why not ask when you book the shuttle to CSL? Also, most hotels have a sign-up sheet for a shuttle ride back to the airport that leaves at regular intervals. I've stayed at the Mar de Cortes and they provided this service.

Good luck.

Thank you Manuel Sam. Appreciate taking time to write and sharing your insights! I called multiple transportation companies after this posting and was able to book for different drop off/return location. The walk is only 5 minutes from the hotel to my airbnb. However, it maybe not be as easy as it can be as I have scuba gears + carry on. I am going to ask the shuttle driver whether he can drop me off at airbnb (while shuttle company said no) or try Uber. Yes, Uber is in CSL now (not sure about supplies though as it is new there).

If that 5-minute walk is uphill (and it can be), then yes, indeed, it can be tough with gear. For example, you originally mentioned the Cabo Pedregal Hotel as a pickup point on your return. I am pretty sure that is up a hill from the closest main thoroughfare, which would be the Marina Blvd. Do you know where the airbnb is? My experience is that the area is pretty safe, so that is not too much of a concern.

Asking the shuttle driver to drop you off at the airbnb, and, if push came to shove, offering a nominal amount for the effort, could spare you from a tiresome walk. I was just in Mexico City and read that the minimum wage in Mexico is going up to 106 pesos in January. There areclose to 20 pesos to the dollar, so a littlee over $5 USD. And those 106 pesos - that's not hourly but a day!! So a few USDs can go a looong way.

If that 5-minute walk is uphill (and it can be), then yes, indeed, it can be tough with gear. For example, you originally mentioned the Cabo Pedregal Hotel as a pickup point on your return. I am pretty sure that is up a hill from the closest main thoroughfare, which would be the Marina Blvd. Do you know where the airbnb is? My experience is that the area is pretty safe, so that is not too much of a concern.

Asking the shuttle driver to drop you off at the airbnb, and, if push came to shove, offering a nominal amount for the effort, could spare you from a tiresome walk. I was just in Mexico City and read that the minimum wage in Mexico is going up to 106 pesos in January. There areclose to 20 pesos to the dollar, so a littlee over $5 USD. And those 106 pesos - that's not hourly but a day!! So a few USDs can go a looong way.

Thank you for the tip :wink:

Hi Disco ,
Are you going with SOLMAR V ?

If you do, we are going to be at the same trip

About the transportation , I dont think you have to worry at all . You can take the advice of your AIRBN host and take the shuttle outside the terminal . They come and go from the airport to CSL all the time . At CSL you can mover around using UBER or regular taxi .

Also if you are planning to going one day to LA PAZ , if I were you, I rent a car to come and go to la paz , its safe, and best option considering time and price

Hi Disco ,
Are you going with SOLMAR V ?

If you do, we are going to be at the same trip

About the transportation , I dont think you have to worry at all . You can take the advice of your AIRBN host and take the shuttle outside the terminal . They come and go from the airport to CSL all the time . At CSL you can mover around using UBER or regular taxi .

Also if you are planning to going one day to LA PAZ , if I were you, I rent a car to come and go to la paz , its safe, and best option considering time and price
Hi curamax,

It would have been cool if we were on the same boat. I am with Nuatilus this time. Thanks for sharing your thought. Safe travels and enjoy Socorros!

Back
Top Bottom