Looped Bungees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am looking for any reliable information on how to tie/set up "loop bungees" on my Razor. Any suggestions via You Tube, books, etc.?

best way I've found is to call up Cave Adventurers and purchase one of the loop bungee kits for either the SMS100 or the Nomad. This has a spacer strap that the loops fit into which can be sex bolted into one of the holes in the top plate on the Razor

I add two tri-glides to the lumber (back strap) positioned at the level of my armpit. I do the same for the Apes WSX harness.

I feel that using the existing holes in the WSX plate or adding the strap to the Razor plate places the loops too high, I like them even with my armpit.

Attachments

• IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 461
I add two tri-glides to the lumber (back strap) positioned at the level of my armpit. I do the same for the Apes WSX harness.

I feel that using the existing holes in the WSX plate or adding the strap to the Razor plate places the loops too high, I like them even with my armpit.

I bought my Razor 2nd hand ($150) but I'm pretty sure this is the factory setup, same as Sevenrider860 suggested. There's also two small retaining loops on the shoulder straps...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 339
As @Sevenrider said, loop bungees are best set lower than most shoulder plates allow. The bungees should ideally run horizontal, just below the armpits.

Double triglides allow this, or you could source a specific part such as Andrew Goring at SUMP UK makes for that exact purpose.

Attachment at the front (shoulder harness) can be either fixed or sliding. I prefer sliding.

For sliding, just tie a loop of bungee around the webbing and route the loop bungee through that. However, I prefer a stiff O-ring (such as XDeep supply on their sidemount harnesses), which you can get from a good plumbing supplies shop.

A fixed system uses a triglide that secures a small loop of bungee. Again, the main bungee routes through this. It should be short.

Thanks guys...very interesting stuff.

I just trying to setup my first sidemount with the Apeks WSX25, using a sliding loop bungee. Is it nessary to add on a tri-glide lower than the steel plate to get the bungee run horizontal? what length of bungee would be good (at the moment mine is 17 ") ? how can you find it when you in the water? I couldnt find it becasue it sliding all the way down ( maybe it just becasue i'm the beginner)

how can you find it when you in the water?

While I'm out of the water/putting on my BCD, the bungee loops are attached to my D-rings with double enders. It makes it very easy to find them. Once I've attached the tanks, the double enders get stored. And you never know, they might come in useful during the dive.

Don't use a razor so I'm not sure if it's the same but on the nomad there is a plate with holes the bungie is threaded through, I ran the loop out and threaded the free end back to that plate and use a friction brake to hold it in place. I'll take a picture...

Qz4O5jf.jpe

Last edited:
Is it nessary to add on a tri-glide lower than the steel plate to get the bungee run horizontal?

It depends how comfort, valve positioning and cylinder trim are necessary for you. :)

what length of bungee would be good (at the moment mine is 17 ") ?

The length of bungees is entirely personal. You can get the basic fit in dry land, but it's best to test and adjust from observation in-water.

The cylinder valve and regulator 1st stage should be at the armpit... not hanging below and definitely not extending forwards beyond the shoulder. It shouldn't interfere with arm mobility in any way.

Dry land general fit is found by inserting your thumbs in the bungees and pulling them together across your chest. There should be some tension bringing them to your nipples... and they should be at near full extension brought together at your sternum.

Another quick reference is that they should stretch outwards to the length of your elbows (see below):

IMG_20170429_143133.jpg

how can you find it when you in the water?

I couldnt find it becasue it sliding all the way down ( maybe it just becasue i'm the beginner)

It helps to take a second to locate and position the bungees before water entry. Pull them out and forwards... then they'll be easier to find once you've splashed.

Much of it IS about developing muscle memory. That comes with experience. Nonetheless, a good sidemount course gives you the time, repetition and good training drills that help ingrain effective muscle memories for using equipment deftly.

I do know of some sidemount divers who've put nylon tabs into the bungees to help grasp them. I personally found that this 'shortcut' solution occasionally get snagged by the reg 1st stages / hoses / valves and caused more frustration than they saved.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom