Loop wraps — functional or fashion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LFMarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I see many CCR divers wrapping their loops with cordura covers. Are these just for the looks or do they have a functional reason?

1662772794736.jpeg

Reactions: OTF
Curious as well. My rEvo came with them, never installed them. Instructor didn't have them and he didn't instruct me either.

I can see under the right conditions they could be beneficial, but I can also see them being a total pain in the maintenance department.

The first time I found myself scrubbing my hoses on Rocks, I went to Cave Adventurers after the dive and baught a set.

The first time I found myself scrubbing my hoses on Rocks, I went to Cave Adventurers after the dive and baught a set.
Are they making loop maintenance/drying more annoying?

The dive buddies of mine who use them seem to have them for fashion. Have to be all matchy matchy. One buddy makes his own and has offered to make me a set if I want them.

They are useful inside "natural" wrecks as an added layer of protection against puncturing your loop hose. Often these wrecks have really tight spaces and sharp object sticking out in weird places and angles.

Maintenance is no big deal. When I'm going to be doing that kind of diving for many days in a row, I put them on at the start of the trip and just leave them on until the trip is over.

Regards,

- brett

If you're strictly an ow ccr diver there's little need. I didn't use them at first but all of my diving is in caves and there were several restrictions that I could feel were catching on my loop hose. I don't want to be in a restriction and tear a loop. Same would hold true in wrecks. In pure OW, I see little need

Protection against elements in and out of the water. They add 10-15 seconds to maintenance procedures/cleaning. Not an issue at all. Not a fashion accessory either.

The Fathom ones are made of the same material as Dive Rite's armored wings. I put some on my top hoses after leaving a few chunks of said hoses in a wreck. One of the better (and cheaper) upgrades I've done to my unit.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom