Looking to upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfalvarez1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am considering updating my old Cochran Commander that I have had since 2003. It still works fine. Unfortunately, Cochran Undersea Technology closed down in October.
I have researched and narrowed my selection to two brands: Shearwater and Ratio.

Shearwater seems very popular. They even took time to directly answer some of my questions. On the other hand, I emailed Ratio and never got any answers. Makes me wonder how their customer service would be in case of repairs.

I did not find much online about reviews on the Ratio computers. I will greatly appreciate any feedback.

What I like about the Ratio computers are the many features and screen size. The Shearwater’s screen is a bit smaller.

I think it might help People to answer you if you specify the models you’re considering

I did a boatload of research this past summer, and ended up getting the Shearwater Teric. But my criteria may be different than yours. I wanted a Bluetooth ai computer that was reliable and rechargeable. If your criteria are different, there are a number of different directions you could go. But I think the answer you will get the majority of the time here is to pick one of the Shearwater computers. I only have a dozen dives in mine, but I am extremely happy with my choice.
I was in my LDS shortly after my last Cozumel trip, going over some things with the owner, who at the time didn't carry Shearwater. He saw mine, asked to see it for a couple of minutes, and now carries them. Nobody else in KC is a dealer, so I am pleased he will have them going forward. Also, I value his opinion. He got one for himself to replace an older Oceanic, so fwiw, he agrees too.

Shearwater seems very popular. They even took time to directly answer some of my questions. On the other hand, I emailed Ratio and never got any answers. Makes me wonder how their customer service would be in case of repairs.
Never used a Ratio, but I think you kind of answered your own question. Shearwater answered you directly, they are on this site regularly, and I see story after story of how they stepped up when service was needed.

If looking for an AI model, that's another point for Shearwater. They use a common transmitter that's used by several brands. That can be helpful if a replacement is needed.

Batteries are another key consideration. The Shearwater Perdix (I assumed you were looking at this vs. Teric due to screen size comment) can accept all sorts of AA size batteries. No charge cables to be concerned with. Transmitter uses CR2s which are slightly less common than AA, but still readily available. The ratio uses rechargeable batteries in both with a proprietary looking cable. Lost, missing cable can be a problem.

Plus, take a look at the dealer network. There appears to be about 5 Ratio dealers in FL. 4 of them are in South FL, and one in the Tampa Bay area. Shearwater has quite a few more throughout the state.

I thank everyone for your feedback. I will likely lien toward the Shearwater Perdix. I was very impressed when Shearwater responded to all my questions.

I emailed Ratio and never got any answers. Makes me wonder how their customer service would be in case of repairs.

I have the Ratio iX3M Tech + and it is great. No issues communicating with their technical support or customer service at all in my 2+ years of communicating with them. I asked them a lot of questions before I bought it and they always responded to me. It usually takes them 48 hours to respond to me. The computer is great and easy to configure and has lots of features and add-ons. Screen is awesome and battery life is fantastic (rechargeable). I have the tank pressure transmitter and the O2 analyzer.

Shearwater. It’s not even a contest.

How do you know? Did you ever try the Ratio or use it?

Hi
Just for curiosity.
If the Cochran is still working, why do you think you need to upgrade?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom