Looking to put a year on this reg.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT-Rich

Contributor
Reaction score
I picked this up for $60 the other day and have been trying to put a date on it. Any one have specifics? It also came with a Scubapro SPG.
C4BE84DF-45BA-455E-9BB9-A86E149C9EA5.jpeg
C43CF9B8-7490-4981-9808-6C5CEC14C02F.jpeg
85727CE0-9EA0-4743-B69D-9EB0AA5CF337.jpeg

First generation Calypso 1st stage, introduced in 61 per Aqualung's history page. That is not the first gen Calypson second though... so either a piecemeal set or a later year of the 1st gen 1st stage coming with the 2nd gen 2nd. I would have to do catalog hunting to put a date to the 2nd stage. I can say that the second stage is the same (just different label) as the Conshelf IV 2nd (introduced in 65).
Respectfully,
James

The first stage of this Calypso regulator is not a first generation first stage, it is the second generation. The way to tell the differences is that U.S. Divers Company made one small change to the first stage for the second generation, but it set the standard for all subsequent regulators. Instead of having the LP hose to the second stage as integral to the first stage, USD made a new part, an end piece withthreads to accept the new standard for LP hoses, a screw-in fitting to the first stage. This made exchinging the LP hose much easier, without disassembly of the first stage. So Dr. Sam Miller's assessment is correct above. Note that this regulator was not accepted by the U.S. Navy because of the smaller exhaust port, but that the U.S. Air Force bought them for USAF Pararescue by local purchase (just as they didn't for the original Calypso). My first issued regulator was one of these, in 1968.

SeaRat

PS, when I first wrote this, it said Dr. Sam Miller "isn't correct above." That's not what I wrote, but the dadgummet spelling corrections replace "is" with "isn't." It is now corrected, and Dr. Sam Miller was correct in his dating.

I have several of those SPG's (Voit, ScubaPro, Dacor - all identical cases). If you need a new o-ring set for the SPG I have several. Just let me know and I can send you one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom