looking to get into photography.............

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubarn0203

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions as to what kind of camera to buy for underwater photography.I am somewhat tech savy but would like my first camera to be user friendly, as far as cost lets say no more then $600.00.Any info would be greatly appreciated.....................thanks!!

Welcome to the board.
The 2 things that I consider an underwater camera must have are full manual controls and some form of macro setting. I prefer macro photography hence the macro requirement but if you want to take good uw pictures,sooner or later you will have to go to full manual. The auto setting just don't do a good job in the uw enviroment. Also, go ahead and plan on a strobe. Some of the cameras will do a good job with the internal flash for macro only shots but forget anything more than a foot or 2 away with the internal flash.

What RU going to use it for?

IOW's do you like Macro? Do you want wide (most do)? RU looking for a camera that can produce good larger prints (11x14+)? Do you know photography, or just want to push a button and hope for the best? Is size a big consideration? Do you want the ability to add a WAL?

I use an S70 with the UW housing. It does a good job for what it is which is a PnS camera with lots of manual controls, and RAW support.

You can see some of my results in my gallary.

Right now I'd say the Canon S70 and Oly 7070/8080 are all good deals with great performance from a PnS type camera. They have all been discontinued, but are still available new, so deals can be found at the moment. The S70 is much smaller than the Oly's with the 8080 likely having the best optics, but it's the biggest, and even bigger when one adds the housing.

I've said I wasn't going to answer these kinds of questions before, but here I go again.

This question is asked a lot. The responses are typically "you need manual controls", "you need (some number of megapixels) or better", etc. I disagree and get in trouble every time.

If you are't into photography on land, and you just want a "normal" point and shoot camera for taking keepsake photos below water, you can go with anything that suits you. Basically anything on the market today that has a brand name on it will work fine.

I personally am into photography, but new to underwater photography. I wanted something small and simple to use since I am still learning the finer points of diving and photography will be secondary to the dive itself. I picked up a very nice Olympus C-5000 on eBay for $175 and a housing for it for $80 on eBay. It has manual controls since I know how to use them and would miss them if they weren't there. If you wouldn't use manual controls, don't bother with them.

Take replies with a grain of salt and figure out what's best for you. Whatever you choose, read reviews on the camera. 2 good sites for reviews are Epinions and Amazon. If you're looking at a digital camera, check out Steve's Digicams -his reviews are great IMO.

Good advice so far!

Have a search through the forum here, there are quite a few divers who have recently decided to add a camera to their diving and many replies have been given. I think it's useful to read through them as each individual has different needs and reading the threads will not only give you ideas on particular cameras, but also ideas to help you get started once you choose and ideas on how to select the criteria that are best for you.

I am a believer in buying for the future. Just because you may feel overwhelmed with manual controls or think that you wouldn't bother, doesn't mean you settle for a camera without them. The price difference is minimal in a lot of cases and you won't have to start the search process all over when you decide that having more control of your images will help you bring back way better photos from a wider variety of situations. All cameras with manual controls (aperture and shutter) also have auto and program functions so you get the best of both worlds. IMHO

www.digideep.com and www.dpreview.com are two great sites - dpreview offers in depth and user reviews on various models. digideep let's you know if there are housings available and which kind.

I think it would be very hard to go too wrong with one of the major players and housings - Canon A or S series, Oly or Nikon. Fuji also has some like the 810 and will have another option out with housing soon, I believe...the camera is out already. Each will have it's followers, each will have benefits and disadvantages...but on the whole, I think you'll be happy with any of them.

Good luck and have fun shopping!

scubarn0203:
Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions as to what kind of camera to buy for underwater photography.I am somewhat tech savy but would like my first camera to be user friendly, as far as cost lets say no more then $600.00.Any info would be greatly appreciated.....................thanks!!

I just wrote a review of two relatively inexpensive UW camera options for recreational divers, read them here.

Thanks to all those that replied,it looks like I have a little research to do.If I am going to do this, I might as well do it right and get the manual controls on the camera.I will read the reviews and look at all the awesome pics,then go from there.Well off to read I go,thanks again.....................:D

scubarn0203:
as far as cost lets say no more then $600.00.
Is that your total cost or your camera cost? If total, I'd suggest working with a camera cost, it'll probably be less confusing. Figure out what stuff you want with it and subtract those costs. For example:

1GB memory card: $60-75
Rechargable batteries and charger: $35
Housing: $180
Strobes, printers, cables, more memory cards, card reader, etc.: ?
Tax/Shipping: ?

That leaves around $300 for a camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom