Looking to dive the Chanel Islands - which boats, which sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

truth aquatics boats out of Santa Barbara. simply the best. might also look at the peace in ventura. those are the only two with which I am familiar or will use.

One other option if they still offer it, is to take Island Packers from Ventura out to Ancapa Island for a single day (multiple if you want to cold camp on the island) and dive off the dock in the landing cove. Its a climb up the ladder at the end of the dive to get back to the dock, but the landing cove is well worth it. one of my favorite places on earth.

I prefer the Peace dive boat out of Ventura, but the Truth Aquatic boats are also well rated and they even have Nitrox now. The Peace has Nitrox for years AND a saltwater hot tub for nice after dive soaking. I never availed myself to any of the Truth boats so I can't speak from personal experience but many people I know speak highly of them.

As far as what dive sites go, the Peace is a multi-days charter and the Captain tends to take it to the outer Channel Islands to more exotic dive sites. Weather permitting, of course. The dive sites in the outer Islands like Santa Rosa, San Miguel, Santa Barbara tend to be more challenging but the regard is the vista. The water tends to be much colder so the kelps tend to be thicker and greener. Anemonies more colorful. Just simply more and brighter underwater colors. Not to mention that these islands have some really sweet underwater walls and reefs. Since that I'm a nudibranch lover, these outer islands are also teeming with these exquisite creatures as well.

The night dives at the outer Islands are the best part.

Another multi-days boat alternative is the Horizon down in San Diego. It tends to go to San Clemente and the Coronados (Mexican water). Big boat, lots of room, Nitrox. I've been on it a couple of times. The only thing I don't like about the Horizon is that they didn't let divers stay on the boat the night before. Most of the boats in LA and Ventura; with exception of those are too small to have bunks, let divers stay on their boats the night before to help alleviate hotel costs and make it more convenient for out-of-town divers as well.

Horizon Charters - Immerse yourself in nature

Hi OOwabbit,

The Peace is a great choice and the Truth Aquatics team can't be beat. I have dived from Peace, Vision, and Conception. I have made multiple trips on them.

I know a few people who have dived from Horizon; and they like it.

SoCal live-aboard diving is really fun. The Channel Islands, north and south are unique and priceless.

I have dived the Gulf, some western Atlantic areas, Hawaii, the Caribbean, French Polynesia (South Pacific), Eastpac areas from Panama to San Diego, and Monterey. The Channel Islands are special!

There are too many good dive sites to list. Here are some from Santa Cruz Island (not an inclusive list):
  1. Novice:
    1. Coches Prieto
    2. Smugglers Cove
    3. Yellow Banks
  2. Novice to Intermediate:
    1. Chinese Harbor
    2. Prisoner Harbor
  3. Intermediate to Advanced:
    1. Scorpion Anchorage
    2. Platts Harbor
    3. Diablo Harbor
    4. Lady's Harbor
    5. Arch Rock
    6. Painted Cave
    7. West Point
    8. Ruby Rock.
I like San Clemente the best. I will dive Tanner and Cortez Banks someday.

“Gull Island is one of the few spots in California that you can see purple hydro coral at shallow depths (15’-40’) and it is in great shape. The diving around Gull Island is rocky reefs with kelp, fish, sea lions and lots of small invertebrates. There are also some outer deep walls close by which make for some exciting diving and the Guardian plane wreck is not far away.”
(Credit: Channel Islands Dive Adventures)

I saw purple hydro coral at West Point one year ago.

markm

Last edited:
It would be helpful to know if you are looking for a day trip or a multi-day adventure and where in SoCal you plan on staying. The Santa Barbara boats are great for multi day trips. The Peace and Spectre out of Ventura a great on day trips. Spectre goes mostly to Anacapa and dive sites there are generally shallow so I wouldn't worry about Nitrox.

Another vote for either the Truth Aquatics boats or the Peace

+1 for the Peace. Outstanding boat and crew

Back
Top Bottom