Looking To Buy A Semi-dry.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StephanieGrace

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have been meaning to purchase a semi-dry as I want to continue my diving in the cooler months. I currently have a probe 5mm and wear a skin suit underneath just for ease and warmth. I am around 5"5 and bigger everywhere else. I always have trouble finding even a wetsuit to fit properly. I have had to get the one I own adjusted. I am looking for around 7mms considering I dont very, very cold, but its too cold to wear a wetsuit.

I have a few questions in regards to semi-drys..:

1. I have already looked at a Hollis semi-dry but everyone I know has one. I would like something different if possible.
2. Scubapro Nova Scotia... User reviews? Have they fixed the sizing issues with the new releases?
3. Aqualung semi-drys? Best, worst?
4. Would it be better to pay more for a scuba pro instead of $600 for an Aqualung.

Thankyou for your help!

Ms grace

Please take a look at our women's 7mm wetsuits. They are extremely warm because there are no zippers to leak and no seal around the hood to let water in. When looking at the size chart make sure you match the weight most closely.

We sell direct so we can pass on huge savings to customers.

Thanks
Dano

Hi Grace,

Another to consider is the Waterproof Taurus semi-dry (or whatever they call it now). The quality and construction of these suits is second to none and they offer a huge variety of sizes for all body types, heights and widths, which might be very important for you. I dive Waterproof wetsuits and they are just superb. Costly, but will last many many years.

I have Probe 1.5mm frogskins. Probe's new "quick dry" fleece lining is completely amazing and creates tremendous warmth. I would take a serious look at their "iDry" 7 mil suit which they call a semi-dry..

Not sure what you mean about the Hollis. If everyone you know has one, isn't that a testament to its effectiveness? I think it is one of the best bargains in semi-drys considering its features (integrated hood, excellent pockets). This should be a top contender on anyone's list and I don't get why you would eliminate it to be "different" when that might just mean "spending more $$ and being cold."

I know a friend who dives the Aqua-lung SolaFX and has nothing but good things to say about it as well. Very thick, though.

Can't comment on the Scubapro as I don't know anyone who dives it.

Finally, lots of reasons to like freedive suits (flexible, soft, great seals), but not for scuba. Delicate soft neoprene which is not well suited to wear from straps holding your heavy gear or banging around boats or rocks, etc underwater, also have serious neoprene compression at depth so you have big buoyancy swings when surfacing and lose warmth at depth. easily damaged linings so they require lubricant to put on, Many of these things are advantages for freediving, but there is a reason very, very few scuba divers use these types of suits. If you want to try one, though, I saw Dano's suits at a show last week, they are really nice, and the price can't be beat for a freediving suit.

But, like everything related to wetsuits, FIT IS KING. Try on as many as you can to get the best fit and seal. Price just does not really matter because if the most expensive does not fit, then it will not work.

We use the ScubaPro Nova Scotia Semi-drysuit for rental. It has been well worth it. Some students do get chilled when they are below the thermocline which is normally in the mid 40s. Anything above 50 degrees and they are warm.

Many of the students who get a good seal around the neck, wrists, and ankles remain dry from their elbows to knees.

Hi Grace,

Another to consider is the Waterproof Taurus semi-dry (or whatever they call it now). The quality and construction of these suits is second to none and they offer a huge variety of sizes for all body types, heights and widths, which might be very important for you. I dive Waterproof wetsuits and they are just superb. Costly, but will last many many years.

I have Probe 1.5mm frogskins. Probe's new "quick dry" fleece lining is completely amazing and creates tremendous warmth. I would take a serious look at their "iDry" 7 mil suit which they call a semi-dry..

Not sure what you mean about the Hollis. If everyone you know has one, isn't that a testament to its effectiveness? I think it is one of the best bargains in semi-drys considering its features (integrated hood, excellent pockets). This should be a top contender on anyone's list and I don't get why you would eliminate it to be "different" when that might just mean "spending more $$ and being cold."

I know a friend who dives the Aqua-lung SolaFX and has nothing but good things to say about it as well. Very thick, though.

Can't comment on the Scubapro as I don't know anyone who dives it.

Finally, lots of reasons to like freedive suits (flexible, soft, great seals), but not for scuba. Delicate soft neoprene which is not well suited to wear from straps holding your heavy gear or banging around boats or rocks, etc underwater, also have serious neoprene compression at depth so you have big buoyancy swings when surfacing and lose warmth at depth. easily damaged linings so they require lubricant to put on, Many of these things are advantages for freediving, but there is a reason very, very few scuba divers use these types of suits. If you want to try one, though, I saw Dano's suits at a show last week, they are really nice, and the price can't be beat for a freediving suit.

But, like everything related to wetsuits, FIT IS KING. Try on as many as you can to get the best fit and seal. Price just does not really matter because if the most expensive does not fit, then it will not work.

Our camo freedive suits are designed to be used by hunters - spearfishers and lobster divers and abalone hunters and scallop collectors etc. This type of diving is probably MORE abusive to a dive suit than typical recreational diving. We have knee pads for abrasion protection and built in knife pockets as well. The exterior lining of our suit is strong and flexible and should be as abrasion resistant as any typical scuba suit.

We use the best neoprene available in the world - Yamamoto. Very few scuba suit manufacturers will tell you which company manufactured their neoprene. We feel this material provides the absolute best mix of flexibility and strength.

These suits are not delicate, but they do require the use of a suit lube to don the suit. We have many customers who use our "freedive" suits for scuba. You are correct that the practice is not as common as we would like, but there are many very serious and active scuba divers using our suits every day - often to depths past recreational.

A few pics from our FB page... all (happy) scuba hunters..
african.jpg
aj.jpg
blue gal.jpg
boyz.jpg
butt.jpg

Our camo freedive suits are designed to be used by hunters - spearfishers and lobster divers and abalone hunters and scallop collectors etc. This type of diving is probably MORE abusive to a dive suit than typical recreational diving. We have knee pads for abrasion protection and built in knife pockets as well. The exterior lining of our suit is strong and flexible and should be as abrasion resistant as any typical scuba suit.

We use the best neoprene available in the world - Yamamoto. Very few scuba suit manufacturers will tell you which company manufactured their neoprene. We feel this material provides the absolute best mix of flexibility and strength.

These suits are not delicate, but they do require the use of a suit lube to don the suit. We have many customers who use our "freedive" suits for scuba. You are correct that the practice is not as common as we would like, but there are many very serious and active scuba divers using our suits every day - often to depths past recreational.

Why does your suit require a lubricant to don whereas other brands do not with the semi-drys? Is the inner lining of your suits very different?

I believe they use an exposed neoprene surface, not a nylon covered neoprene like most suits. It's like the seals of most suits, but along your entire body.

Why does your suit require a lubricant to don whereas other brands do not with the semi-drys? Is the inner lining of your suits very different?

Like other freediving suits, the Mako suits are unlined inside.

I have two freediving suits, now, a 3mm and a 7mm. They're great, very warm, stretchy. I don't use the official wetsuit lubricant. I either get my skin and the suit thoroughly wet with plain water, or use a 10:1 mixture of hair conditioner and water in a spray bottle. That's for putting the suit on. At the end of the dive it's easy enough to just pull it off, although I have to be a little careful of my hair if I've been out of the water long enough for it to dry.

Like you, I considered a semi-dry suit at first, but I ended up with a freediving suit.

Freedivestore.com has some sizes that Mako does not.

Yes, as has been mentioned our freedive suits have bare neoprene on the inside. why???

The nylon lining on a suit improves strength, abrasion and cut resistance but there is no free lunch. The lining material also impacts flexibility.

So protecting the outside with a woven material has significant benefits, but on the inside - not so much. The smooth internal rubber also helps to seal the suit and prevent migration of water within the suit and also pumping of cold water in and warm water out. This type of configuration is very warm and flexible and comfortable.
We sell a one piece jumpsuit of 2 mm Yamamoto rubber with a back zip, no hood and nylon lining inside and out. Very similar to a typical scuba suit. When you get down to the thinner suits - less than 3mm, we feel that the added strength of the internal woven material is beneficial and the fact that the suit is only 2 mm allows great flexibility. Of course with no attached hood, back zipper, internal lining , this is a warm water suit.

Freedivers want to wear the absolute minimum amount of neoprene that provides adequate warmth because suit compression at depth makes them heavy. And swimming up while too heavy with one breath becomes difficult if not dangerous. A scuba diver just taps the BC inflate button, when suit compression kicks in - a minor annoyance .

That is why the freedive suit is designed to be as thermally efficient as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom