Looking thru the D200 viewfinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blesi varney

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Aloha everyone,

I don't know if this topic has been brought up before but here goes. My first digital camera was a point and shoot Mavica CD200 with an Ike housing. Then I upgraded to the Sony F828 with another IKe housing. I got spoiled with the LCD screen where you can see exactly what you are shooting, as opposed to looking thru the viewfinder.

My husband bought me a D200 for X-mas with an Ike housing and 60 mm lens. (I love macro). My big problem is I am having a hard time seeing thru the view finder. Has anyone here ever have that problem? Any suggestions? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo,
Blesi

I have a Subal ND20 with my D200 and it has the magnified viewfinder so it is easy to see through the D200's viewfinder.. Does the Ikelite have that? Maybe an option? If so, I would highly reccomend it.

I use the D200 in a Sea & Sea housing. I'm under the impression (but not sure) that the Sea & Sea viewfinder is about comparable to Ike's. However, in general, it's not too hard to use, just takes some practice to start using the viewfinder vs the LCD screen found in Point & Shoots.

Do make sure that you have a good mask. A low volume, 2 window mask with a black skirt works best for me. I can get good and close to the camera and not get any glare from ambient light.

Start practicing without trying to get too low, that will come later, but shooting things that don't cause you to contort your body is a good way to learn good technique.

Otherwise, just dive and shoot often, it's truely a great camera.

John

I guess my problem is all of the above. This is my first time to use an SLR underwater. Like I said, I got spoiled by the LCD screen and the first day I used the camera I forgot that I had a mask on and kept hitting the viewfinder trying to look thru it. I will just have to call Ikelite and find out if they have a remedy to it.

By the way, Dave (dbh) your pictures are awesome. Thank you guys, for taking the time to respond.

Aloha,
Blesi

Blesi, stick with it. you'll get used to it quickly. It will feel awkward initially going from viewing a point and shoot LCD at arms length to a DSLR viewfinder... I was in the same boat last yr when I switched (and my Canon has a smaller and DARKER viewfinder than the Nikon D200!).

The only time I've ever had some difficulty is once in a while while shooting macro and being contorted in a strange position when shooting something in a tight spot. Wide angle has never been an issue, but nonetheless, I put an order in to Aquatica to purchase their viewfinder, which should help overall. And as much as I hate to admit it, as I am getting older my eyes are having a harder time. Not cheap though, at over $1000, but for the sake of my eyes, it's going to be worth the price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom