Looking for ways to help a weak back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silverfish, I too have back trouble. I do all the things already mentioned. My BC is a Zeagle Concept. The integrated weight pouches are positioned just above and slightly behind each hip and does not stress my back at all, either in or out of the water. When diving off a boat, I'll sit close to an entry point if a giant stride is the mode of entry. That way I have a short distance to wear my full gear. Back rolls aren't a problem at all. When getting back on the boat, I hand up my weight pouches first then remove my BC for the crew to lift out of the water. They are all willing to do this for you. Another thing I like about the Concept is it's a back inflate BC and so there's no pressure exerted on my back or ribs as it is inflated. A jacket-style BC is uncomfortable for me to wear for that reason.

Womens BC's were very uncomfortable to me. I am long waisted and they were just too short in the torso.

When diving locally, I own a HP65 steel tank and 2 HP80 steel tanks. The steel tanks allow me to use 4-6 lbs less weight and they are negative when empty so I don't have to add extra weight just to allow for aluminum tanks bouyancy as the tank empties. I don my BC in the water whenever possible and yes....always add air to it before you throw it in the water!

Fellow divers are always willing to help you carry your gear so don't be afraid to ask, especially if it means potentially hurting yourself.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom