Looking for Warm Europe area dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LawrenceT

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Gang: My daughter and I are new members to this site. We're traveling to Ireland in late April from the eastern US and looking to detour to a quality dive site somewhere in between. The warmer the weather, the better. We have never been diving in Europe or nearby. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have for where to dive. thank you.

Lawrence T,

I have lived and dived in the Naples, Italy and Athens, Greece areas over the past 30 years or so. I was in the Navy in Naples in the mid 70s and in Athens in the early 00s. The water is warm in both places in the summer, but there is NOTHING to see. The Med is pretty sterile. When we got to Athens, we were advised to ask the price of a seafood dinner in most restaurants because you were likely to pay up to $100 for a meal because the fish was all imported. I paid up to $70 and got nothing special.

If you can get to Sharm El Sheikh in the Red Sea, you will see all the fish and coral you want to see. An amazing place. Go with Red Sea Diving College there. They are a class act.

With that being said.....I am an instructor and was diving almost every weekend in both places. I love being underwater and the water is warm and usually clear in the summer in the Med, but there just isn't much to see. In Greece, the "Scuba Police" keep you away from the antiquities, so that limits diving. If you do try the Greek Isles, be sure to check on-line to ensure diving is allowed at that particular island.

Good luck with your trip. I understand there are some neat sites up in that area, but they will be cold. But that is what wet/dry suits are made for. Let me know what you decide to do.

yep the med is a bit life less compared to other places , I have been to the canaries a few years ago and it was great, plenty of life and allot of shore diving, the islands are volcanic so there are some good drop off's.
If you are planing to dive in Ireland the temp will be around 12 to 13 deg C
all the best

If you like wrecks come to Cyprus.
We've got the Zenobia, and in April the water is not bad.
You can dive it with 3mm wetsuit
Regards,
george

The water is warm in both places in the summer, but there is NOTHING to see. The Med is pretty sterile.

I think this is not true. If you didn't see anything, I guess you dove in the harbour of Naples: a problem of yours. The area of Punta Campanella, or Capri, very close to Naples, have great dive sites. The biodiversity in the Med is great, and you can find a lot to see.
Unless you are one of the divers who believe that only sharks deserve importance.

I dive in the Med (in Italy, Croatia, Spain, ...) and in the Red Sea, every year. So I can claim a sufficient experience in both the places. And I can agree that they are different, but I can't say that one is better than the other.

A.

Hi Gang: My daughter and I are new members to this site. We're traveling to Ireland in late April from the eastern US and looking to detour to a quality dive site somewhere in between. The warmer the weather, the better. We have never been diving in Europe or nearby. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have for where to dive. thank you.

Well, in April you can find warm water only in the south of Spain, Italy and Greece. There are a lot of possible sites. I'm italian, so I suggest what I know better: Ustica, or Pantelleria, small islands close to Sicily have fantastic dives.

Ciao.
A.

If you like wrecks come to Cyprus.
We've got the Zenobia, and in April the water is not bad.
You can dive it with 3mm wetsuit
Regards,
george

:shocked2::shocked2: 3mm wetsuit in April, you're brave!!!

Back
Top Bottom