Looking for useful DSLR feedback..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stiebs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm 90% convinced I am about to take the plunge for a DSLR housing. But not for an Oly, or Canon, or Nikon. For my Pentax *istDS. I already have a Pentax system, so don't really want to start forking out for Canon or Nikon lenses..

The housing will support TTL with Pentax, but only with a Subtronic strobe. Except I don't want to spend AU$1500 on a strobe. I can get hold of a Sea & Sea YS-120 for AU$499, so I think I'm going to pick that up. My only doubt is that it only has two manual settings, although I'm comfortable enough with my photography that it won't be an issue for me.

I will be getting a flat port for the 18-55 lens, and also one for a 100mm macro, since I have these lenses. The other port options are a 50mm macro (flat), and a 14mm (dome). I'll leave the dome for now, and possibly get it if and when I get the 14mm lens.

In standard configuration, the 100mm port does not have manual focus. A manual focus control can be added, and I'm wondering if its worth it, especially since I don't believe the view-finder is magnified, even though it is quite large anyway (0.95x magnification). And also because I won't be able to switch between AF/MF underwater.

So my kit will look like this:
* Pentax *istDS
* UK-Germany housing
* 18-55mm lens with flat port w/zoom
* 100mm macro lens with flat port
* Sea & Sea YS-120
* Most likely Ultralight or Sea & Sea strobe arm

Any comments and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I use the manual focus on my 100mm port about 35% of the time. It's nice to have.

I'm sorry, what's the question?

And you don't need ttl - just get a strobe with manual settings :)

For the 100mm macro, I don't have manual focus on mine (Canon) and it seems to work just fine -I've never had it so I don't miss it. I don't feel I miss shots because of that. There are work arounds to not having MF, if you need it. Just a matter of getting in there and working with the lens til you figure out what works best.

I don't know any other Pentax shooters so you're a bit of a trail blazer!

alcina:
I'm sorry, what's the question?
:D
More just a statement of what I'm contemplating spending my hard earned cash on, and putting it out there to see if anyone has any comments for me to mull over :)

And you don't need ttl - just get a strobe with manual settings

Yes, well I got all excited when I saw the YS-110 in the S&S catalogue and then for sale online at B&H and Leisurepro. And then got shot down in flames when I figured out that for all purposes, the YS-110 appears to currently be no more than vapourware.

The YS-90DX seems to be quite elusive. And my LDS has a brand new YS-120 for AU$500 (~ US$380). So even though it only has full and half power settings, I reckon I might get it anyway and expose using aperture.

For the 100mm macro, I don't have manual focus on mine (Canon) and it seems to work just fine -I've never had it so I don't miss it. I don't feel I miss shots because of that. There are work arounds to not having MF, if you need it. Just a matter of getting in there and working with the lens til you figure out what works best.

Thanks alcina, that's the sort of reassurance I'm after :)

I don't know any other Pentax shooters so you're a bit of a trail blazer!

Yes... and it's certainly been a challenge for me so far.. and I haven't even bought any equipment yet!! Assuming I go ahead with it all, I will be sure to report back on how it goes..

froop:
So even though it only has full and half power settings, I reckon I might get it anyway and expose using aperture.

This would be a deal breaker for me, I must say. Light is everything in photography. This is not a strobe that will grow with you and your abilities. imho I'd fork over more cash for a good strobe that will allow you to be creative, to get the most out of this rig and the next rig. I think you'll send yourself batty with this one.

Thanks alcina, that's the sort of feedback I'm after. Although I have in the past had good results above water with full power flash, using f-stop to control light. And unless I'm after a particular shallow DOF, anywhere between f8-f22 doesn't really make much difference, provided the lens performance isn't adversely affected when it is stopped down.

I think I've just been spoilt with camera technology above water, and I'm wondering if my reluctance to get a 2-setting only strobe (YS-120) over a more expensive flexible one (Ikelite, Subtronic) is just because I need the extra steps, or if its just more convenient..

Light does not always behave the same way underwater as it does on land and some things that work in one element do not work as well in the other.

If you throw out your ability to control your lighting in as many ways as possible, then you are really going to run into shots uw that you simply can't get or simply won't be happy with. If it was a money issue, I would limit the number of lenses I started with to afford the better, more functional strobe.

Will Inons work with your set up? They are a worthy choice and Yuzo has them for a "good" price - info@naturephoto.co.jp

Good luck with your shopping - been there, so know how frustrating it is not to have oodles of cash!

Well I think I've weened myself off of the YS-120 idea, and go for a more flexible strobe straight out, rather than spending $500 and then want a new strobe two months down the track.

So the most obvious choices are a DS-125 (@ US$800 incl. cable & charger), the Inon Z-240 at a similar price point, the mythical Sea&Sea YS-110 or the Subtronic Midi @ €1000, which supports TTL on Pentax (Will it work well? Will I use it?). My Pentax DSLR does support TTL metering in the film sense of the word, as well as Pentax's own digital P-TTL.

I do like that the Inon takes AAs (Same as my Pentax), and that it is compact size too.

Aaarrrghh!! Decisions, decisons, decisions!!

Yuzo has the Inon 240 for way less than $800 US :)

info@naturephoto.co.jp

frankly you can live without ttl. If you have it great, but if you don't, you aren't going to miss it. I don't have ttl compatible gear and don't miss it (I used to have it then learned how to shoot manual and never looked back).

Just checked Yuzo's site, and he's out of stock of Z-240, with delivery expected "in August" .. and yes, good prices :)
Looks like I might have a new forerunner with the Z-240

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom