Looking For Training Teammates/buddies- Utd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahanu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Aloha PNW divers,
My name is Ahanu, and I will be relocating back to the King/Pierce county area in June.

Currently, I am very interested in pursuing UTD technical training, and I am putting some feelers out to see if any of you all may have similar interest in building a three person team for this training. Specifically, I am interested in the offerings of the husband and wife team Frog Kick Diving.

I am drawn to their entire tech portfolio, starting with Essentials of Tech and onward. Initially, the Doubles Mini course is appealing as well, as I have no experience with that set up as of yet.
I have been very impressed with what I have read and heard about UTD's training, standards & practices, and instructor quality and capability.

The three person team seems to be a very strong concept, for many reasons IMHO, and I am hoping to find some like minded, evenly experienced and interested folks to see if we may have the potential to be a cohesive group of dive buddies and a committed team. For training and beyond.

I am currently a warm water diving PADI DM on Kauai, with what will be 100ish dives and about 10 months of recreational diving experience. I got Dry Suit certified through SDI and Silent World Scuba at Alki Cove 2 in 46 degree water in January of this year to prepare myself for the exciting new diving environment, conditions, and gear you are all accustomed to up there. (Officially became a certified DM on 3/8).

Please let me know, or pass on my interest to anyone you may feel might be interested as well.

Additionally, I am planning to enroll in the GUE Fundamentals course, either in June, or perhaps one later in the year. I have only heard of this course producing better divers, regardless of pass rating, or even failures. As such, I am compelled to take it, given the uniquely challenging diving conditions that the PNW presents.

My current barriers are the need to purchase a dry suit, doubles and the associated manifold and regulator rig, boots, hood, gloves, canister light, etc...

Surely kit that I want to have ample bottom time with before jumping right into Fundies.

That said, I am also looking for dive buddies for single tank recreational dives, to make some friends, being to develop a familiarity with the local spots and conditions, and to be diving regularly!

Ahanu

Last edited:
Hi Ahanu,

I'm an instructor, getting into tec. I'm currently working on my flexibility to reach my valves! I may have to go sidemount, we will see.

I'll wish you an early welcome to Seattle. PM me or just email me directly at kosta dot koeman at gmail dot com.

Kosta

Hi Ahanu,

I'm an instructor, getting into tec. I'm currently working on my flexibility to reach my valves! I may have to go sidemount, we will see.

I'll wish you an early welcome to Seattle. PM me or just email me directly at kosta dot koeman at gmail dot com.

Kosta

Aloha Kosta,
Thanks for the welcome! I will shoot you an email when the relocation gets a bit closer. I will be in town scouting housing end of April, moving end of May.

Cheers!

Aloha Kosta,
Thanks for the welcome! I will shoot you an email when the relocation gets a bit closer. I will be in town scouting housing end of April, moving end of May.

Cheers!
Sounds good Ahanu. I'll be wrapping up my IDC Staff Instructor certification in May. After that, I want to focus on diving sidemount and having more fun diving.

Hey Ahanu, great decision to go with Brian W. He's a great instructor and you are sure to have a great path for all your future diving adventures.

FYI, GUE fundies and UTD essentials are almost identical courses and both cover similar skills, protocols and theory. There may or may not be much benefit fo doing both. Although, as they are so similar, most UTD and GUE divers are easily integrated in a mixed team.

Dive safe.

Jay

Hey Ahanu, great decision to go with Brian W. He's a great instructor and you are sure to have a great path for all your future diving adventures.

FYI, GUE fundies and UTD essentials are almost identical courses and both cover similar skills, protocols and theory. There may or may not be much benefit fo doing both. Although, as they are so similar, most UTD and GUE divers are easily integrated in a mixed team.

Dive safe.

Jay
Thanks Kay. This input is much appreciated.

*Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom