Looking for the best places to dive in California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mijke

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, we will be visiting California in September for a 5 week vacation. Because my boyfriend and I are enthusiastic divers we would like to make some dives near San Francisco, Monterey and LA. We are both experienced divers (my boyfriend is an instructor and I am a master diver). We are used to the water in the Netherlands which is cold and not the best visibility. We have all are own gear and usually dive with our dry suits.

What places and dive schools would you recommend for the best diving? And should we rent equipement or take our own? I would love to hear all your advice!

channel islands liveaboard, catalina, pt lobos, carmel pinnacles with one of the local boats if weather permits, monastery beach if the waves are calm, breakwater if carmel side is too rough.

most local shops do have steel tanks for rent, just make sure to call ahead for availability.

Best being very subjective, here's some of the better options off California.

I only know Monterey and points south so am not including anything around SFO although the Farrallons are supposed to be good boat diving - possibly with Great Whites.

Monterey has the Kelp forests and all that thrive in them. It's actually a National Marine Sanctuary so a lot of it is protected. If you've never dove in the Kelp, you should it's an amazing experience. Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary Home Page

Moving farther south, there are the Northern Channel Islands, generally acccessible via liveaboard from Santa Barrbara or Venrtura. While all good, Anacapa is a highlight both because there can be Kelp growing there and there's also an active Sea Lion colony and they love to play. Diving The Northern Channel Islands: The Galapagos of California Santa Cruz also may have Giant Kelp again this year but El Nino has been devastating to the Kelp all over the area in the past decade so IDK how much is back now.

I've heard San Miguel may be the best but we've never been able to get out there due to conditions - plus my friend didn't want to risk his private sailboat.

Then there's the Southern Channel Islands, all of which are accessible by day/weekend boat from San Pedro or Long Beach - you can also access the Marine Park off Santa Catalina via the Catalina Express - a couple times/day ferry that runs between Long Beach, Catalina or Dana Point. They won't be surprised to see dive gear - some divers even bring tanks on a cart on-board.

It's been mentioned that the fast day boats from Long Beach like the Sundivers are almost as good to Catalina than the 2 boats moored there but I've never been on either of those 2 to compare.

Next is the Oil Rig dives - several of the "E" platforms - Eureka, Elly, one more - are diveable. Magician is one boat that does those, there's others. Some are working so often live drops - the depth plus the tangle of the platform brings in big pelagics plus often sharks. It's advanced diving due to currents, conditions and if you get away from the rig they can't always unhook immediately to retrieve you so have proper signaling gear. And be prepared to float in blue water for a time.

in Orange County there's good diving along the beaches, particularly around Laguna Beach. How can you go wrong with a site name Diver's Cove although IMO Heisler Beach or Shaw's Cove nearby are better.

Further south still although you didn't mention it, there's some good diving in San Diego also. There's about 1/2 dozen dive boats - mostly based around Mission Bay who dive locally, the Kelp Beds off Point Loma and there's a small wreck alley with a few deeper wrecks.

Also La Jolla Cove is a world class shore dive/marine reserve and there's about 5-6 other dives within a mile or so. I learned to dive there 30 years ago - the other weekend option there is several of the boats go down to Los Coronados Islands off the Mexican border to dive with the Sea Lion colony there. Divers are their source of amusement so don't be surprised to be shadowed/tugged by a dozen or more - it's normal there - leave the snorkel on the boat...

Usually they board the night before and you wake up on-site and return that night.

It is Mexicp so a visa is required, The ship will provide that at boarding but being from another country, check with them about documentation needed - likely just your passport.

Some useful links:

California Dive Boats : The Official Page
Catalina Express
Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: California South, USA West
Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website

I don't have any really good shop recommendations anywhere since we mostly shore dove and got tanks at the Sport Chalet's but they all closed last year and I haven't been to SoCal for a few years, I don't have any problems recommending Beach Cities Scuba in the Laguna area or IB Divers/La Jolla. All the diveboats I've been on do a good job, most have online schdedules/booking on their websites. Don't assume tanks/weights are on-board since a lot of SoCal divers bring their own but all can provide them. Almost w/o exception the DM stays on the boat normally unless someone needs help - you can hire a private guide thru most of them if desired.

hth,

One last thing I'd mention is in the greater LA area, it's not the distance but the traffic that determines how long it takes to get somewhere so download one of the local traffic apps - there's almost no way to predict the traffic jams except generally anything to/from downtown is bad and to/from the Long Beach area due to the container ship traffic - it's one of the busiest ports in the US. I've never had problems in Orange County but I guess I'm very lucky,

Last edited:
I think it is fair to say that sea-state conditions are less predictable north of Pt Conception. The best dives of my life have been in Carmel Bay... but I have also been skunked more times trying to get there than any area outside of the North Atlantic. IMHO, Catching a boat to the Northern Channel Islands out of Ventura to Santa Barbara has better diving than to the south. Hope you have a great trip.

Last edited:
@diversteve

If you can find a copy of " Diving West by Steven Gordon " pick this up, is from the late 60's but the dive sites still remain the same. The dive shops listed are another story if they still remain.

I can only speak to Carmel/ Monterey shore dives.

I think the best sites are Point Lobos, South Monastery & North Monastery.

Point Lobos is a state marine reserve (you can google it), that limits the number of divers and charges $20 to $30 per 2 person team (plus $10 parking). On weekends and sometimes Fridays you must reserve a month in advance. Mon-Thurs, you can just show up.

The Monastery sites are great dives, but feature a rough surf entry (esp North Monastery). You should be experienced with such entries. You should only dive them on very calm days.

I actually think that the a Breakwater is a pretty good site. Lots of fish, good place to see sea lions. Sometimes limited viz. just avoid weekends when it becomes overrun with students

If you have three days a liveaboard out of Ventura or Santa Barbara to the Northern Channel Islands would be my recommendation. Haven't done one in 5 yrs or so but they used to only run $500 +/- for the 2-night trips. You can get up to 15 dives or so on one of those. There can be fantastic kelp forest diving in the islands. I've mostly used the Peace boat out of Ventura though there are a few others with similar programs. You can get by with a 7mm fullsuit in the Channel Islands if you are active.

There are great spots in the Monterey area and a few day charter boats, but it's more of a dice roll regarding sea conditions (though Sep is among the better months) and visibility than SoCal I'd say. My choice would be to pick a boat from there that's going over to Carmel Bay. I've used Beachhopper II and Escapade and thought both were OK. You'll definitely want your dry suits.

Diving north of Monterey Bay is typically poor until you get a ways north of the San Francisco bay, and again you have the issue of there being way more horrible visibility days than not, but there isn't much in the way of charter service available.

California charter diving is typically buddy system or (sometimes) solo, not DM-led.

I prefer my own gear for travel, but I think US rental gear is typically quite passable. Yoke valves on 80cf tanks are the norm here, maybe someone else can comment on the practicability of DIN 300 regulators on US charter boats, if that is what you bring. Availability of other sizes of tanks is typically slim that I know of, but there are some.

Could also mention Catalina Island off LA is a popular dive destination and with resort amenities.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom