Looking for the best place to do my DM training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hiya,
I've just started researching DM training in the Bay Islands,Honduras and of course I have the usual questions,same same but different!
Roatan vs.Utila for DM
Here's my deal......

I'm a seasoned traveller,30 something single female,veterinarian who is also looking to volunteer part of the time to help out with dog/cat/horse medicine while I am there.
I'm looking for something that has the feel of Koh Tao,Thailand where I spent a month last summer diving and helping out at an animal rescue. I'm hoping to find a project I can come back to every year so that I can dive and help out at the same time.I am looking to go next Jan/Feb for 4-6 weeks.

I prefer to backpack and not to reserve ahead,cheap is good because I still have STUDENT LOANS to pay off(will be new graduate next year).
Obviously chilled atmosphere where I can also meet new people who are preferably a bit older than 19 and beach time is important.
Of course,the diving is key and instructors with lots of experience. I am a rescue diver with about 40 dives and Nitrox,Deep Diver specialties looking to see some dolphins and whale sharks in an ecologically friendly way.

I know it's a tall order but can anyone make any recommendations?

Muchos gracias,
G
Hi, I'm kind of in the same boat as you as far as the internship goes...I am trying to decide between Utila and Roatan. I was wondering if you were still looking around, or if you already have gone. Thanks

Hey Beachnutts,

I'm still looking into it since I won't be going until next year. It's not that I'm THAT organized I just need to plan something I'm looking forward to to keep me sane through the craziness of veterinary college!

It's looking like Utila has more of what I'm looking for including the animal clinic but I'm getting the feeling that I might enjoy the atmosphere on Roatan better? I've seen some pics and Utila looks a little more concrete building where I'm looking for a tropical beachy feel,don't know.

I'll probably wait to make a final decision when I get there, that way I'll know for sure what works best for me.What are your thoughts? Were you planning on heading down there soon?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom