Looking for Tech Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChuckP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just completed a divemaster program in Cozumel and I'm pretty confident in my abilities and knowledge within recreational depths (my demonstration skills need help at times though LOL). I plan on finishing instructor training more than likely in Cozumel this coming Spring. I mostly have dove wet but have some experience in a dry suit.

My local instructor is great, has tons of knowledge but there is virtually no way that we'll get even the required dives in let alone enough dives for experience unless we drag this course on for years. Even our planned trip to Curacao in February wouldn't give it the time it needs. I wish there was a way, I think he really has the knowledge to pass on but..... I just see getting a card out of it and not gaining 100% of the skills.

I'm 52 or close to it. I'm moving to an island and hoping to become involved in diving in some way or another. Caves?? I dunno, I can see the why but not sure if it's really what I want. Oriskany? Truk Lagoon? Yea, absolutely. 100-150' wall drift dives? Yes, weekly.

Mostly though, I want the skills and knowledge to handle light deco obligations either planned or unplanned while diving / leading dives in the Caribbean, be it drifting or moored. I think once that road is traveled, I'll know more if I want to add He to the mix, probably more than likely though....

I've read over 40 pages of the agency arguments on here and I don't really want to get into that - I'm looking for an instructor recommendation based on the diving that I want to do long term. I want to learn, I want to understand, the work and effort does not bother me.

Who do you go to that is great?

if you are moving to the islands I'm not entirely sure He is going to be that beneficial since it's rather hard to come by down there. No problem with doing it, but you probably won't be diving it much down there.
I guess the question is do you want to do it locally in MI or do you want to go somewhere a bit less offensive *i.e. wetsuit deco in the Great Lakes is going to be unpleasant....*

It'd be great to do it locally - I was cozy warm in a drysuit for 50+ minutes, not all of it at depth of course though - but I just don't see getting the experience really needed here. We have a group trip planned for Curacao but again, it's only a week - I'd rather learn more than less if you know what I mean, besides, I don't think you gain as much when a course is drug out over time - doing something daily for a few weeks helps it stick IMO.

If I end up living in Cozumel, I'd rather have the tech experience to do longer slightly deeper dives if it comes up planned or unplanned.

I'm convinced it's not going to happen local. I don't know that I feel real comfortable doing it in Cozumel, wavering on that. You can find instructors online all over the US but I'm really looking for someone to point and say - this guy has a great program, you'll learn a lot and then some, it'll apply in the direction you want to go.

There is quite a bit of tech training and diving available in Lake Michigan. Unless you are hitting a deep quarry, a boat is needed to do most of it.

If you end up living in Cozumel, Protec is just a boat ride away, and Zero Gravity isn't much farther.

Sounds like you need to make up your mind - either do it locally (Midwest) or do it away (tropical). If you’re moving somewhere tropical, then do your training tropical. You’re making this harder than it is.

In my case, all I want to dive is the Great Lakes. It would be stupid for me to train tropical. You’re the opposite.

German Yañez is in Cozumel and the guys at Protec, Go Sidemount (Razor), Natalie Gibbs would all be excellent choices in the Playa area. Start with a cavern class from.a good instructor and it will be the best class you have ever taken. From there I recommend an AN/DP class for your deeper wall dives.

I just completed a divemaster program in Cozumel and I'm pretty confident in my abilities and knowledge within recreational depths (my demonstration skills need help at times though LOL). I plan on finishing instructor training more than likely in Cozumel this coming Spring. I mostly have dove wet but have some experience in a dry suit.

My local instructor is great, has tons of knowledge but there is virtually no way that we'll get even the required dives in let alone enough dives for experience unless we drag this course on for years. Even our planned trip to Curacao in February wouldn't give it the time it needs. I wish there was a way, I think he really has the knowledge to pass on but..... I just see getting a card out of it and not gaining 100% of the skills.

I'm 52 or close to it. I'm moving to an island and hoping to become involved in diving in some way or another. Caves?? I dunno, I can see the why but not sure if it's really what I want. Oriskany? Truk Lagoon? Yea, absolutely. 100-150' wall drift dives? Yes, weekly.

Mostly though, I want the skills and knowledge to handle light deco obligations either planned or unplanned while diving / leading dives in the Caribbean, be it drifting or moored. I think once that road is traveled, I'll know more if I want to add He to the mix, probably more than likely though....

I've read over 40 pages of the agency arguments on here and I don't really want to get into that - I'm looking for an instructor recommendation based on the diving that I want to do long term. I want to learn, I want to understand, the work and effort does not bother me.

Who do you go to that is great?
The best instructor with the most years technical diving overhead experience above and beyond any of his GUE colleagues, diving both the caves of the Yucatan AND overseas Philippines/Indo-Pacific/Micronesia Wrecks (i.e. Truk Lagoon) is Kelvin Davidson in Tulum:

Who we are » Third Dimension Diving

GUE Instructor resumé | Global Underwater Explorers

Similarly with Rob McGann in Florida Cave Country:

Dive With Rob (aka Florida Cave Diving) - Florida Cave Diving with Rob McGann

For your short list @ChuckP (and your general tech training & regional interest), I recommend either Rob or Kelvin above -or both, one right after the other- if within your time frame and budget.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom