Looking for statistics on PSD fatalities and case studies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fiziks

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
About 14 years ago, I began developing a PSD training program for our volunteer dive team. One of the things I found was a compilation of statistics on PSD related deaths and injuries as well as some case studies. As such, this data and these case studies were based on data and events that occurred in the '90s. I currently use this information as one of the first sessions in training our new members, showing them that what we do is indeed dangerous, this is why we have certain SOPs and SOGs, and that although it is a volunteer organization, it is not a good old boys club.

Does anyone know of a compilation of more recent PSD related injuries/fatalities or any recent statistics on such events? It could be at a national or regional level.

The statistics I have cite an average of 3-4 deaths/yr from 1973 to 1993 and categorize the fatalities in several ways, by type of agency, by type of activity (rescue, recovery, training), type of water, and depth. Anyone know of such statistics newer than 1993?

Check with Mark Phillips at psdiver.com

Blades Robinson of DRI has a collection of those reports. He's on the board here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom