Looking for some advice on nomadic instruction.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey there,
I was wondering what the best option for gear choices are while traveling and instructing? I'm planning on doing the whole minimalist thing, bouncing from location to location every couple months. Mostly carrying possesions in a backpack.

I was wondering what the recommended solution to gear is? Am I required to have my own set by most international shops? In a perfect world I could bring my reg and use shop rental bc, but I've heard that's frowned upon. I was looking at some of the travel bc's and they don't look like they'd withstand instructor quantity dives. A bp&w came to mind, but I don't want students to get confused when learning gear if I'm demonstrating on a bp&w.

Does anyone have any feedback or advice? I'm thinking I'll have to have a separate bag for dive gear if shops require or highly recommend you have your own set of fins, and bc.

Thanks for your help,
Chris

Also, is being a traveling rebreather instructor feasible? I'm not sure how I'd feel bring my rebreather on a nomadic instructor binge nor am I confident I could get a job teaching it.

Thanks,
Chris

howdy......i don't travel much but when i do i take 50#s of the most important stuff to meet the airlines requirement........then get the rest if needed at the local LDS....good luck in your travels and enjoy.

I know instructors who travel from job to job with their rebreathers. Its not something that is cheap or easy but can be done. Its also not really a thing to do when only working in a place a few months, it usually only becomes practical if you are staying a year, unless of course your gigs are covering those costs.

You need your own gear or you will be considered a burden in high season when all the shop gear is needed for customers. Depending on the kind of travel you will do with it (flights = expense and land = awkward) you will have different challenges.

On flights, aways put the weight and value in hand luggage, computers, regs etc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom