Looking For Self Reliant/Solo Course in New England

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We do the course in Long Island if that's not too far for you.

Try Tom @ CT Scuba. He is located mid-state in CT. If he cant personally do the course he will give you the number to the person that can. Have utilized him multiple times. I prefer to give my dollar to someone whom gives that one on one education when it comes to anything above basic ow. A 2 minute phone call and you will understand what I mean. He is frequently in the Newport/Jamestown area on weekends.

Pm me if you have any questions: I also know of a few local shops that do the course but I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

One data point to throw out there for your consideration: The quarry that is my "home base" is run by the shop where I have been doing pretty much all my training. The shop teaches both PADI and SDI courses. I think all their instructors are crossed over to teach either agency's curriculum. So, they can teach Solo and Self-Reliant. Thus, as far as I can tell, they have no vested interest in either one.

At the quarry, they only allow solo diving by people with SDI Solo, but not PADI Self-Reliant. I don't know why that is and I keep meaning to ask. I already have SDI Solo. But, if I were starting over and debating between the two, I think I would want to find out if that is at all common. If it is, it might make me specifically look for a Solo instructor and not a Self-Reliant.

Has anyone heard of a place that allows solo diving by people with PADI Self-Reliant but not SDI Solo? I only know of the one data point in favor of SDI Solo. I'm just wondering if there are ANY places that work the opposite way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom