Looking for Scenic Shore Discover Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob9876

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and daughter are thinking about doing a Discover Dive when we visit Cozumel later this month. My wife and I did a Discover dive in Chankanaab way back in 1997, and she is wanting a shore dive at least as scenic as that (my daughter has been very reluctant, so my wife thinks she needs some great scenery to get my daughter interested).

One Dive Op we checked with does their Discover shore dives either at Sunset Beach club or Paprika. Does anyone know how the shore diving is there?

Another option we've considered is the Scuba Shack (because they are involved in adaptive diving my wife may need a little extra help). Anyone know how the shore diving is near there?

You are not going to find any shore dive on Cozumel as vibrant and scenic as Chankanab. You have got to get away from the shore and onto one of the inner reefs to have the kind of experience you are looking for to get your daughter hooked.

In at paprika/tikila out at sunsets, walk back on sidewalk.
Nice "dive park" with a few coral heads, fish cribs, and a few statues. Easy entry. Mario Che can provide a guided dive if needed. He knows every inch of that area.
Better shore area than in front Scuba Shack.

You are not going to find any shore dive on Cozumel as vibrant and scenic as Chankanab. You have got to get away from the shore and onto one of the inner reefs to have the kind of experience you are looking for to get your daughter hooked.
My wife has been wanting to do a shore dive because she thinks it will be easier for her to put on the gear in the water, and also she doesn't have the easiest time climbing boat ladders (even without gear). Do you happen to know if they still do Discover shore dives in Chankanaab? I don't find much mention of it online, except a couple of questionable looking websites (no mention on official site).

Check with Scuba Club Cozumel. They have a nice shore dive with lots to see. Easy entry as well - walk down the steps into the water, then put on gear. May be some current, but usually not too bad. Last year we had a spotted eagle ray hanging around the area, including under the main dock where the boats come in. They also offer a "Discover Scuba" program. Check them out at www.scubaclubcozumel.com

Divegoose :)

My wife has been wanting to do a shore dive because she thinks it will be easier for her to put on the gear in the water, and also she doesn't have the easiest time climbing boat ladders (even without gear). Do you happen to know if they still do Discover shore dives in Chankanaab? I don't find much mention of it online, except a couple of questionable looking websites (no mention on official site).
I understand regarding your wife- I am unaware of Chankanab shore dives. Only familiar with the Chankanab reef itself and diving it from a boat. If the goal is to do a Discover Scuba class, then I would contact any one of the dive operators that also provide instruction (not just dives for certified divers) and let them know what you want and that it needs to be from shore. Most likely, the will do the class from the Tikila Bar/Restaurant-- It is a good spot. Scuba Shack is also a very good option. They have their shop and shore dive on site. They provide courses: Scuba Courses – Roberta's Scuba Shack

My wife and daughter are thinking about doing a Discover Dive when we visit Cozumel later this month. My wife and I did a Discover dive in Chankanaab way back in 1997, and she is wanting a shore dive at least as scenic as that (my daughter has been very reluctant, so my wife thinks she needs some great scenery to get my daughter interested).

One Dive Op we checked with does their Discover shore dives either at Sunset Beach club or Paprika. Does anyone know how the shore diving is there?

Another option we've considered is the Scuba Shack (because they are involved in adaptive diving my wife may need a little extra help). Anyone know how the shore diving is near there?

Paprika is the restaurant that serves Tikila, the bar/shore dive place. Scuba Shack, Casa del Mar and Tikila, (going south to north) are all basically the same area. I've gotten in at all three places. I'd recommend Tikila if you dive there.

I've done the Chankanaab (Park) shore dive twice. From my memory, it's more scenic than the shore dive/s at Tikila, etc. Tikila has some heads here and there and a little kind of wall at about 25', while I recall some patch reef at Chankanaab and there are also some swim throughs. Tikila is probably easier entry and exit.

When you pick a site, you should have a lengthy talk with the dive operator and then your wife about the operation. I question if a shore dive is physically easier than a boat dive. Generally for shore dives, you gear up on land, and then walk into the water with the gear. It could be 10 yards, but could be 100! At scuba club cozumel, there are stairs into the water thirty feet from the bench, but many people jump from the pier. Some sites, there is no 'wading in' but only a pier or wall to jump off.

Even if there is wading in, and she can put the gear on in the water, who is going to carry the gear? Generally, the easiest way to carry gear is on your back. Will she expect the DM to carry his gear and her gear into the water?

A boat dive is one of the easiest ways into the water. Gear up while sitting down. Stand up (usually with help) and take 3-5 strides to the stern and step in. If she has trouble climbing out of the water, the deck hands are frequently asked to help with gear. She can take it off in the water and they will haul it out.

My wife and I did a Discover dive in Chankanaab way back in 1997
Last time was 22 years ago?

my wife may need a little extra help
my daughter has been very reluctant
My wife has been wanting to do a shore dive because she thinks it will be easier for her to put on the gear in the water, and also she doesn't have the easiest time climbing boat ladders (even without gear).
There are enough risks to scuba diving, and I'd hate for your family to suffer an injury. I am wondering if y'all are really up to all of this? Let me offer these suggestions...

Try snorkeling together first and see if your daughter's interest builds. The first time I took my daughter & son-in-law, I got us all inflatable snorkel vests, practiced using them first - the risk there is having the screw valve in the wrong position, then practicing in a swimming pool.

If you want to proceed, arrange private DMs for both. Padi standards allow up to 4 discover students to an instructor, which strikes me as a bit foolhardy. I started with a Discover course and got hooked, but we had a DM each.

Change your DAN dive accident plan to the Family plan with everyone covered, before you leave the US.​

I'm still concerned about your wife putting her gear on in the water. Unless you are going to hire extra sherpas to carry it in for her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom