Looking for recommendations in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ptibbs

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I am looking at finally getting some of the groundwork done to get toward DM certification.

I have to take a couple of weeks COVID forced vacation from work and was thinking about, if we are allowed to travel there, getting to Thailand (I am supposed to take it by the end of September, and flights to Thailand are super cheap right now). I obviously don’t have time to do DM, but do have time to do rescue and perhaps a couple of other useful certifications.

There are a plethora of outfits offering certification on Koh Tao, I could probably get 8 days on the island, maybe 10 if flights work out. EFR and Rescue take about 5 days, and I would also like to add some specialities suited to adaptive support (this is my area of long term interest), maybe of a couple of introductory tech classes.

What I am hoping someone can suggest is a reputable operator. I am PADI certified for advanced open water and a few specialties, but my understanding is that course levels are pretty much interchangeable now. Dive guide and stress and rescue with an SSI school are also probably excellent options.

Thanks in advance.

Ok change of plan after discussions with the LDS. I am going to do SSI React right and diver stress and rescue here; and hoping to get a recommendation or referral for the dive guide class.

Note at this stage I am not looking at this for immediately becoming a pro- it is all about continuing my education, experience and building confidence. Still looking at Thailand. because of cheap flights, but it was also suggested the Indonesia or Malaysia are good options. Any recommendations? Of course this is entirely dependent on us being allowed of the country by then....

Ok change of plan after discussions with the LDS. I am going to do SSI React right and diver stress and rescue here; and hoping to get a recommendation or referral for the dive guide class.

Note at this stage I am not looking at this for immediately becoming a pro- it is all about continuing my education, experience and building confidence. Still looking at Thailand. because of cheap flights, but it was also suggested the Indonesia or Malaysia are good options. Any recommendations? Of course this is entirely dependent on us being allowed of the country by then....

Look here and check down the threads for Koh Tao.

Thailand

I wouldn’t spend too much time planning this. The odds of you being allowed to enter any country in Asia, from the US, before October, are infinitesimally small. I live in Japan, where COVID is relatively controlled, and my girlfriend works in Thailand. The odds of me being able to see her this year are low, and we’ve only been averaging about 10 positive tests per day where I live.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Back
Top Bottom