Looking for recent info on Dominical, Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Montana Tom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, The wife and I will be visiting Costa Rica Feb 6-13 and thought it would be great to do a dive or two. Ive looked on here but most recent threads are back in 2015. Does anyone have more current info on dive ops etc? We will be staying at Villa Temenos, in Dominical area. It looks like Cost Rica Dive and Surf is the closest shop from what I have researched. I think doing a trip out to Cano Island would be awesome. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year!!

Hi all, The wife and I will be visiting Costa Rica Feb 6-13 and thought it would be great to do a dive or two. Ive looked on here but most recent threads are back in 2015. Does anyone have more current info on dive ops etc? We will be staying at Villa Temenos, in Dominical area. It looks like Cost Rica Dive and Surf is the closest shop from what I have researched. I think doing a trip out to Cano Island would be awesome. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year!!
Tom, any luck with your research? I will be there in March. Hoping to get out to Cano.

CuzzA, No replies here and have not taken time to email Costa Rica Surf and Dive yet. I am hoping they will be helpful. My biggest concern is the lack of info here. We. Are only there for a week and probably will do Caño. Love the idea of a new location. Thanks

I've done the Cano trip once, last year. Great two tank trip. LOTS of sharks, rays, eels.

Im going out there in May for my honeymoon! Super excited about staying on the Osa peninsula. Hope we don't run into any crocs out there! :fear:

Im going out there in May for my honeymoon! Super excited about staying on the Osa peninsula. Hope we don't run into any crocs out there! :fear:

I'm not sure if you booked anything yet, but I have in-laws that retired there so we try to visit when we can. This time we stayed in Uvita at the Bungalows Ballena. Outstanding place. Might be more space than you need.

Costa Rica Dive and Surf is just across the street and the beach is a short walk. Plenty of markets, bars and restaurants. The Uvita waterfall is just down the road as well as Dominical. I highly recommend CRDS and I would make sure to dive Cano Island. Wear bug spray at dusk and be prepared to sweat. :wink:

Here's a video from my trip two weeks ago.

I'm not sure if you booked anything yet, but I have in-laws that retired there so we try to visit when we can. This time we stayed in Uvita at the Bungalows Ballena. Outstanding place. Might be more space than you need.

Costa Rica Dive and Surf is just across the street and the beach is a short walk. Plenty of markets, bars and restaurants. The Uvita waterfall is just down the road as well as Dominical. I highly recommend CRDS and I would make sure to dive Cano Island. Wear bug spray at dusk and be prepared to sweat. :wink:

Here's a video from my trip two weeks ago.

WOW that is an awesome vid! The manta ray hi five was just epic. Looks like an awesome place to dive. In some spots the current looked pretty strong, would you say it was bad ever? We already bought our rain suits so we will be prepared to be out in the downpours all day haha.

We will be going to a place further south than uvita, although I would like to stop and see the "whale tail peninsula" there. We are going to a wildlife lodge in corcovado called Aguila de Osa. I'm getting super excited now!

The day of diving I did at Cano last year was great! Just got back from Tamarindo, and a week in Manuel Antonio last year, and have never seen a rain drop either time. It may be different down south where you're going.

WOW that is an awesome vid! The manta ray hi five was just epic. Looks like an awesome place to dive. In some spots the current looked pretty strong, would you say it was bad ever? We already bought our rain suits so we will be prepared to be out in the downpours all day haha.

We will be going to a place further south than uvita, although I would like to stop and see the "whale tail peninsula" there. We are going to a wildlife lodge in corcovado called Aguila de Osa. I'm getting super excited now!
The current was not too bad and that's why we were able to dive that spot. I was told they only dive it about 10% of the time. The surge was pretty strong at times, but not too bad. It was fun to just ride the surge.

If you plan on going out to the whale tail beach, be prepared for a long walk and watch the tide. At high tide you'll get stuck out there if you're not paying attention..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom