Looking for Milford Sound dive buddies in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

birinxi

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I hope I've put this in the right section of the forum?

I'm going to be in Te Anau in August for a caving trip this August and I'd really like to do a days diving at Milford Sound as well! We can do August 21,22,23,24,24 or 26 depending on when people are available to join us. :kiss2:

From what I'm told the easiest way to line this up is to drop some cash and go on a Tawaki day tour, but they need a minimum of four to run a trip and there is just the two of us, hence this post!

A blurb from the website "Fiordland's unique marine environment results from a combination of dramatic mountains and intense rainfall. Massive volumes of water flow into the fiords, causing a freshwater layer to overlay the seawater, thereby creating an environment where deepwater species can live at unusually shallow depths. This means that scuba divers like you can see rare black and red corals, spiny sea-dragons and other deepwater life at only 10-15m. For those non divers there is the chance to go ashore and get a close up look at the beautiful scenery and waterfall."

The cost is $159NZD if you have your own gear and are leaving from Milford. Getting a coach with them there and back from Te Anau is an extra $30NZD and hire gear is $99 if you need it. This price also includes about 4hrs tour on the boat. It'll be cold but not as cold as you'd think in the water. They hire toasty 7mm wetties and have hot showers on board. I've heard you even get to take the boat behind one of those giant waterfalls.

Anyway... for more details google the Tawaki website (not sure if I can post links here so I haven't) and if you're interested... please let me know!

Cheers,

What an awful time - Middle of winter - My family in Christchurch are already complaining about the cold!

What an awful time - Middle of winter - My family in Christchurch are already complaining about the cold!
NO NO NO--yea you need to be diving in thick gear but the water is really clear.

Yep, the water will definitely be chilly, but really not that bad once you're kitted out in thick gear :D They also pour hot water into your suit before you jump in for extra 'umph'.

I know one bloke who took one of those heated handwarmers to shove down his suit to "protect the valuables" but didn't end up using it.

I noticed the Otago Dive club also has trips some multi-day trips there around the same time but just a little too early or too late for us to join them.

Will be around Milford Sound in early September just before the Rugby. However I am unsure of the exact dates as I have to travel half way round the world first from the UK.

I would be interested in any one down that way from around 5th Sept onwards and will check this forum during my travels of NZ on the off chance

Sorry wont bring any gear but can bring some 50 PADI advanced dives, albe it from warmer locations

I'll be back at my aussie desk working again in September unfortunately :(
Glad I'm missing the rugby mania though!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom