Looking for Light n Motion Sola suggestion for photo / video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquamanKauai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Aloha and thank you in advance for your time,

I'm casually getting into shooting photos and some video for personal use. I shoot with the TG-5 with the PT-058 housing. I initially want to get a sola light utilizing the cold shoe mount. I understand the advantages and disadvantages (at least to some degree) but right now want something compact to document sightings more than anything. As you would expect - the red filter I got with the camera doesn't do quite enough. Down the line as I progress I will potentially go to a tray and even strobes, but for now I'd like to get a suggestion from anyone utilizing or having experience with Sola lights. With out going to overboard initial feedback seems as if the Sola video 2000 spot / flood or 2500 spot flood are a good place to start? I can also a great deal on BigBlue lights but have zero experience / knowledge about them.

Again, thanks for your time and any help you may provide in advance

Aloha again! Mahalo from the islands
A

I would suggest getting comfortable white balancing the aTG against common underwater items and shooting with ambient light. That will greatly reduce the need to to chase rare encounters and drive them away.

Get a strobe for stills. Nothing replaces some some highly focused light to bring stills to life

Perhaps you want to check out weefine, it does flash and video light and some more functions. Don’t expect that it will fully replace a strobe but pretty decent for macro.

Back
Top Bottom