Looking for Key West Resort with Dive Operator onsite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khsjsilver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to plan a Key West vacation in October. When I go on vacation, I'm all into making the trip as easy as possible. As such, I'm not a big fan of having to leave the resort and drive to a dive operator. When you plan on diving every day, it adds a lot of hassle and time to the dive trip each day. Also, my wife doesn't dive so less time away from the resort leaving her alone makes her happier.

Does anyone know which resorts actually have the dive operator onsite with the dive boats leaving directly from the resort?

Thanks,

Ken

A Google search will show you that key west operations are dive operations. Not resorts. There are some hotels farther up in the keys that have dive ops on the premises but other than amy slate's in key largo there are no actual resorts with their own wholly owned dive operation. Heck there aren't really any what I would call resorts in the keys comparable to somewhere like cozumel or bonaire. Most ops also do not put guides in the water, set up your gear, or plan your dives other than giving you a site briefing. Lodging in key west is expensive. If I were going to dive with someone there I'd go north for lodging and drive down.

Southpoint (a perfectly respectable operation) docks at the Hyatt (a true resort) and has offices right across the street (conveniently located). I will join you for a drink at the Tiki bar on Friday evening, or Sunday evening.

Otherwise, Dive Key West (my personal favorite) docks at the Key West Harbor Yacht Club, which has rental condos, but is not conveniently located to Key West at all. This can be a good thing, unless you want to stumble around Duval Street. A word of caution - stumbling around Duval street puts a damper on your diving, for which there is no refund for hangovers. Across the street from the Dive Key West shop (which is not near their Marina) is Ibis Bay Resort. Conveniently, Dive Key West has a shuttle to take you to the boat dock at the Yacht Club. Ibis Bay has 2 "short buses" to transport you to the Duval Crawl. They have chickens on top of them.

Lost Reef Adventures and Captain's Corner are located in Key West Bight, a short walk from many of the less expensive places to stay.

They are not the same as resorts and not in Key West but I have stayed several times at the Holiday Inn in Key largo. Not a resort but there are several dive boats within a block. I have stayed there for several days and left the car parked in the parking lot. Two nice pools and tiki bar. I have dove with Horizon, Ocean Divers, BlueWater and a couple with Sea Dwellers. Like the H and OD boats better as boats. But then I like shade and able to move around.

If you stay at The Marker, both Lost Reef and Captain's Corner are in your back yard. If you're diving with them on consecutive days, I'm pretty sure Lost Reef will store your gear for you.

... I will join you for a drink at the Tiki bar on Friday evening, or Sunday evening....

..dive operator onsite with the dive boats leaving directly from the resort?

The MV Spree Resort has both the "dive operator onsite" and he also brings the resort with you !!

One other suggestion is Looe Key. I personally haven't stayed there or dived there, but I have drank at the Tiki Bar.

Home

I have dove with "Dive Key West" and "Lost Reef Adventures", wont go wrong with either shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom