Looking for input on odd problem with perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I had an odd issue with my Perdix AI and wonder if anyone has a suggestion. I will contact Shearwater next week but hoped maybe someone had some guidance in the meantime. My computer lost comms with the transmitter for a bit (because of having my arms crossed in a way that blocked signal) and according to the screen, never regained a signal despite holding the wrist unit up to the transmitter and later holding next to the transmitter when back on the boat.

I assumed the transmitter battery had died or the transmitter had flooded or something like that. I was able to check today and everything is fine with the transmitter. I downloaded the log and the computer itself showed that it regained communications and tracked my PSI through the reminder of the dive, despite the screen never showing that I regained comms. It did not occur to me to power off and on the computer or switch screens during the dive and I cannot dive again anytime soon to conduct further tests.

Anyone have a suggestion, other than contacting Shearwater and if necessary sending the computer in for a check out?

By the way, this is with a single gas and singe transmitter.

If you lose comms for too long, the computer will ask you to confirm with a button press that you acknowledge the message. Is it possible you didn't see the "confirm" request?

Hmmm. I did confirm at some point but I don't recall when. It may have been substantially later when transmitter was off anyway. According to the log, it regained comms after about 90-120 seconds despite not showing on the screen. I have been trying to recreate the behavior today but I can only do so on land and am not sure if that is affecting the behavior. Thanks for the suggestion. That might be it. I will keep trying to test it.

Any chance you can do a pool dive to test it out?

Any chance you can do a pool dive to test it out?

Maybe. I might be able to do a pool dive next weekend but I also have a liveaboard trip coming up in a few weeks so if it has to go back I might not want to wait. Hopefully can talk to Shearwater tomorrow. Worst case... I can take a different computer, but would prefer to figure out what I did wrong or get repaired, as appropriate. I have not been able to duplicate this on land so far.

In case it is of interest to anyone, I have not been able to duplicate the issue on land. I am fairly sure it was a case of missing the confirmation message. I used the "contact us" feature on the Shearwater website to ask them about this and got no response. If I can get in a pool dive soon, I will check some more. Otherwise I will see what happens on the next dives in a few weeks. I have a backup computer and if necessary can even round up a third computer to take, so this isn't critical right now.

Anyone know if Shearwater typically responds to written inquiries and if so how long that takes? I suppose I could call them.

I am sure it is you missed the confirm message. I had a alarm set for PSI and didnt hit it and it lasted until the next dive on a new tank as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom