Looking for Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robbcox

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello
I'm looking for all the information in order to learn how to dive. I've wanted to do this for many years and am finally at a point where I can do this now
Where to start etc.
Thanks

Find a local dive shop and go from there?
Yes. Many advise to check out several shops and interview instructors, ask about course lengths, times, cost, etc. We don't really have a choice here, as I assume is the case in many places away from nice warm ocean water. If all you check out seem similar, go to the closest shop and save gas. Internet can be of help of course.

Find a local shop, there's probably not one in Sandy but isn't SLC nearby. Here's a PADI shop locator - they're probably the largest Scuba certification agency in the U.S. but that doesn't really matter as a Certification card from any of them is accepted by all.
PADI | The Way the World Learns to Dive®
I'm SSI certified so here's ours: SSI Scuba Schools International - you'll probably have more options with PADI locally.
NAUI is the 3rd large recreational agency: Locate NAUI Dive Centers | NAUI Worldwide. Dive Safety Through Education

Here's one option a google search turned up: Scuba Utah Official Website Notice that you save a little by doing the e-learning first which can be done at home. If you go with them, you will need a code from them at signup to ensure the proper credit is issued.

One thing you have going for you is Homestead Crater - they stretch to call it the only warm water diving in the continental US since last time I checked all the southern states were still part of the continental US but oh well...:confused:

Homestead Crater | Homestead Resort

I've heard they've even introduced tropical fish there and maybe one small shark? Something like a bullshark could live there - you occasionally hear of them in golf course lakes in the south.

You'll learn a lot here also. One place to start is: How to find an excellent SCUBA class

It's good to find a local shop for your basic gear. It may cost a little more but everything can be fit. Realistically around $300 should cover mask/boots/fins/snorkel which is usually required for the class, everything else can be rented/purchased later.

Buy a mask that fits. The easiest way to tell is hold it up to your face and inhale - if it stays on it's a contender. You can buy a $20 mask or a $120 mask - both work. Should be tempered glass but all are if they're for dive use. Low-volume preferred as they're easier to clear.

Fins/boots buy what you like that fits. They can get pretty expensive or not.Paddle fins are much easier to back up in than split-fins which are easier on your legs but more for reef touring. As you age you'll appreciate split-fins more IMO. The reason they're all more expensive doesn't mean they're better, just that Nature's Wing had some good patent attorneys so everyone selling them pays a hefty licensing fee. It's what I use - mine are Tusa Xpert Zooms.

I'm a fan of the $20 snorkel. Just a simple open bore - you'll mostly use it in class. Mine dry-rots about every 4-5 years from riding around in my bag and I buy another one. If you're doing a lot of shore diving or long swims you might want to consider a better one.

Last edited:
First of all, Congratulations on deciding to become one more of our "crazy" family!

I agree with local dive shops. In my experience the dive centers that operate in touristic warm places tend tend to rush a bit the courses. I would not say that they break standards, but many times the don´t give the time that the student needs to improve and become confident underwater-

As an example, when i was working in Belgium, the time spent only for pool/confined waters with a student was equal than the time spent for the whole Open Water Course in most of the Famous Diving Destinations i worked before.

So i also agree with checking through internet and so. There you can find, forst of all what is the Course about, and some opinions of the past students.

From my point of view, a good answer would be: "the time of the course depends more of you than on us" a bad answer would be: "you can do it in 3 days, maybe even 2 and a half"

I hope you enjoy your time underwater. Don´t hesitate to contact for further questions

Happy Bubbles

Gery #ScubaLegends

http://www.facebook.com/scubalegends

http://www.scubalegnds.wordpress.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom