Looking for information on a set of Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackOfDiamonds

Jewish Space Laser Operator
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello ,

Im about to purchase a set of old doubles for decorative purposes . (If i survive my girlfriends reaction when i bring it to our *small* apartment :D)

I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on what kind of tanks these are and what kind of valve is installed on them, its not something i have seen before.

The guy selling them is asking for 140$, i am trying to get him down to 100$ but i pay 140 if he wont budge.

Imgur

Any vintage gear experts opinion welcome !

Thanks,

-Shachaf.

If I was getting a decorative set of doubles for a small apartment, I looked at a set with some cool and durable art, with a bit of a distressed look that would survive a bit of rough handling. Then they can decorate your trunk when you go diving. If it is decorative as in 'the cool base laying down for the coffee table', I think I'd leave them under the table for a while, and only later on rare occasions pull them out as that extra set up tanks. Or set it up so it would be a cool set for her to dive, just if she ever wanted to. ...

(not very helpful on those old tanks, sorry.)

They look very European. They look similar to other that I have seen and worked on, but I have not actually seen this exact set. Therefore, I can't tell the actual country of origin. We could get a lot more information if you had some closer pictures of the valves and the stamping on the neck.

They probably have a DIN fitting opening on the side that we can't see.

They are not going to be DOT stamped (or at least, extremely unlikely) so hydro testing and filling them in the US would be a problem (not impossible).
Added: Sorry, I just notice you are not in the US. I don't know what are the regulations in Israel.

The neck looks like tapered threads (not O-ring seal).

Good luck

The guy selling them is asking for 140$, i am trying to get him down to 100$ but i pay 140 if he wont budge.

this is a disgrace it would be amusing if he withdraws the tanks from sale and throws you out

They are European units--( what a surprise ! )

I have seen images of them previously in my European collection of dive catalogs
which are are currently packed away due to home remodel

They appear to be interesting units, clean well preserved and worth preserving.

I question why a home décor ? Use them for local diving

SDM

this is a disgrace it would be amusing if he withdraws the tanks from sale and throws you out

Didn't even have to haggle, he knocked down 50 $ when he asked where im from and realized it's a long drive.

Amusing isn't it ?

They are European units--( what a surprise ! )

I have seen images of them previously in my European collection of dive catalogs
which are are currently packed away due to home remodel

They appear to be interesting units, clean well preserved and worth preserving.

I question why a home décor ? Use them for local diving

SDM

Local regulations here make it extremely difficult to fill any cylinder over 15 years old , I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.

I also have no clue how to operate the valve or If it's in working condition ,Maybe I'll have it taken apart to find it.

They look very European. They look similar to other that I have seen and worked on, but I have not actually seen this exact set. Therefore, I can't tell the actual country of origin. We could get a lot more information if you had some closer pictures of the valves and the stamping on the neck.

They probably have a DIN fitting opening on the side that we can't see.

They are not going to be DOT stamped (or at least, extremely unlikely) so hydro testing and filling them in the US would be a problem (not impossible).
Added: Sorry, I just notice you are not in the US. I don't know what are the regulations in Israel.

The neck looks like tapered threads (not O-ring seal).

Good luck

Unfortunately I'll only be collecting them tomorrow / day after so I only have the picture he sent me.

When I pick then up I'll make sure to check for further details on the tank, hopefully it will shed some light.

Regulations in Israel make it a big hassle to fill any tank older then 15 years , I'll have to see if it's worth the extra investment and hassle to do it.

I'll also have to check the condition of the valve , if it hasn't been in use for a decade I'll bet it won't he in working condition .

Regulations in Israel make it a big hassle to fill any tank older then 15 years , I'll have to see if it's worth the extra investment and hassle to do it.

I don't understand that. There is no technical / engineering reason for that. Those are steel cylinders. Steel doesn't age. The only possible degradation is from rust (or very high heat, like fire). Age in itself has no effect on steel cylinders (or aluminum cylinders).

Many of my steel cylinders are around 50 years old. They all pass hydro just like new cylinders.

I find arbitrary rules like that ridiculous.

I'll also have to check the condition of the valve , if it hasn't been in use for a decade I'll bet it won't he in working condition .

The valve may have a few O-rings that can deteriorate with time if stored in a hot environment, but normally that is the only item that could degrade and even that is not likely, unless it was a very hot storage condition.

I don't understand that. There is no technical / engineering reason for that. Those are steel cylinders. Steel doesn't age. The only possible degradation is from rust (or very high heat, like fire). Age in itself has no effect on steel cylinders (or aluminum cylinders).

Many of my steel cylinders are around 50 years old. They all pass hydro just like new cylinders.

I find arbitrary rules like that ridiculous.

The valve may have a few O-rings that can deteriorate with time if stored in a hot environment, but normally that is the only item that could degrade and even that is not likely, unless it was a very hot storage condition.

I agree there is no reason for that regulation , if the tank passes HYDRO and VP it's just as good as any tank. I would use them in a heartbeat if it wasn't for all the hassle.

Unfourtantley, dumb regulations is what the local diving comity is known for.

After a decade in storage I'll have the valve taken apart just to ease my mind , I wouldn't feel comfortable diving it without proper service

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom