Looking for info on watch dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clock115

Reaction score
Hi fellow divers,
I am leaving in about a month to go to townsville, Australia to finish up my last semester of undergrad studying marine biology. I plan to be doing a lot of diving and think its time that I purchased my own dive computer. I will be doing a lot of diving in my future as I am planning on going to get my masters in Marine biology and ecology. My budget is around 450 dollars. I dont want an air integrated transmitter right now but I like the option of being able to buy one in the future.

One of my most important criteria is that it is something that is not to chunky so I can wear it topside. I don't have huge arms either so I cant get away with what some people can haha.
Some computers I am considering
Geo 2
Atom 3.1
Suunto D4i

I would love to hear from you guys on your opinions on these computers and possible other suggestions!

P.s. What is the difference between the geo 2 and the atom 3.1 other than that the geo 2 is not air integrated?? It doesn't make sense because I can find them for the same price..

Thanks and happy diving!

geo and atom are separated essentially by AI, and an extra gas with 3 mixes instead of two. Of the two, grab an Atom if you can, but keep in mind that Oceanic sold off the division of the company that makes their computers to Aqualung, so it's a little shaky right now in dive computer world.
Suunto uses a weird algorithm and is just annoying, so I'd avoid that one.

If you can get an Atom for the same price as a Geo, then grab one. Alternatively, contact Deep6 and see when they are due to arrive if you can grab one of those before you depart for Australia. They'll be around $150-$200 and while a bit larger than the watch style, it will certainly hold you over until you get into your graduate program and then you can take advantage of AAUS pricing for some of the nicer computers....

Hey
Thanks for the great information!
I just wanted to clarify. Can you tell me a bit more about what you mean regrading the d6 computer?

Also, do you need to be in graduate school to get the discount from AAUS? It looks like I can sign up for some level of it right now through a small fee.
This is a snip-it from their website under oceanic sponsor discounts "They are now generously offering this pricing to the broader scientific diving community by extending the same opportunity of institutional pricing to all AAUS organizational members for the Oceanic brand. " I wonder if the discount is worth the fee of signing up..

Seems like that's pretty much the difference but I only compared specs on their website, the Geo lacks the ability to do air integration, the Atom can handle 3 transmitters. The $379 price on the Atom at Leisurepro is a good deal since the Atom normally retails about $599 with no transmitter - $899 with.

It's probably somehow related to the fact that in recent months Oceanic/Hollis (AUP) sold Pelagic Pressure Systems - who makes all their computers - to Aqualung. Although they will be continuing to supply new models to Oceanic also - I wonder if the price is because there's a new model due out soon. The first Aqualung models are out now also - at least in presale. Not surprisingly they look very similar with just a different name. I haven't compared functionality.

I'm pretty sure - but check with a dealer/Oceanic - that most of their recent transmitters are universal so if you could find an orphaned one somewhere - that might be a good deal used later. They're hard to flood unless someone cracked open the case by using it as a tank carrier. I see them periodically in our classifieds...

I also noticed on the Oceanic Geo website that they're offering it at $100 off or $299. That doesn't seem to have made it to the online prices yet.

The Suunto's all have a more conservative algorithm so you'll get less time generally. And they can only be set more conservatively. Suunto did it by design.

One of my most important criteria is that it is something that is not to chunky so I can wear it topside. I don't have huge arms either so I cant get away with what some people can haha.

Pretend you're a Flavor Flav fan. I hear Geo 2 isn't actually that small either.

About the best deal on AI right now is the last of Oceanic VT4.1s can be had for $600 with the transmitter but it's oversize and overbudget for your requirements.

All three are good choices. I think your decision is going to be...

1) since you plan to wear as watch, which style do you like
2) price
3) option for air intregration

4) the geo and atom will give you more flexability in choice of algorithm. This means that you can choose a less or more conservation dive plan based on your individual needs and preferences. With the Suunto, you have no choice, it is a set conservative algorithm. You will have to decide if this is a good or bad choice for you.

My recommendation, unless AI is important to you, get the geo.

. . . With the Suunto, you have no choice, it is a set conservative algorithm. . . .

Not precisely. There is a menu to select one of three conservatism levels. The default is the lowest conservatism level, and the user can select a higher level or a still higher level. I have no idea how these levels compare with those of other computers, but Suunto does have a reputation for being conservative compared with other computers. So the lowest setting is probably already pretty conservative compared with other computers.

You could have scored an OCi without tx for Leisure Pro for $485 just before christmas. Call, they might still honor the price.

Not precisely. There is a menu to select one of three conservatism levels. The default is the lowest conservatism level, and the user can select a higher level or a still higher level. I have no idea how these levels compare with those of other computers, but Suunto does have a reputation for being conservative compared with other computers. So the lowest setting is probably already pretty conservative compared with other computers.
Good point and thanks for that clarification. Perhaps a better way to put it is that the geo and and atom allow a choice of 2 different algorithms and conservative levels within each algorithm. The Suunto is a set algorithm with 3 conservative levels within that algorithm.

Hi fellow divers,
I am leaving in about a month to go to townsville, Australia to finish up my last semester of undergrad studying marine biology. I plan to be doing a lot of diving and think its time that I purchased my own dive computer. I will be doing a lot of diving in my future as I am planning on going to get my masters in Marine biology and ecology. My budget is around 450 dollars. I dont want an air integrated transmitter right now but I like the option of being able to buy one in the future.

Some computers I am considering
Geo 2
Atom 3.1
Suunto D4i

I would love to hear from you guys on your opinions on these computers and possible other suggestions!

P.s. What is the difference between the geo 2 and the atom 3.1 other than that the geo 2 is not air integrated?? It doesn't make sense because I can find them for the same price..

Thanks and happy diving!
$450.00 can easily buy TWO entry level computers eg. Mares Pro Puck with enough change to buy a SWATCH or spg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom