Looking for info on Dive Alert Plus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gooski8

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does the Dive Alert Plus work well underwater or is it best to stick with the Dive Alert for surface use only?

It says that it works well underwater on the website. What I want to know is what kind of noise it makes underwater. Is it the same quacking noise as all the others?

I have two friends who bought the plus and hated it. Said it did not work as well as the Standard or the underwater one. I have a standard and a hammerhead. Only use the latter with students.

I've had both the old and the the plus as well as the sub duck... The plus works well under water and the sound is similar to the other quakers, but higher pitch. In the underwater position is so loud it would work well for the surface too. If you don't mind the bulk of the plus it's a great piece of equipment to have when you need it.

Of all three I like the sub-duck best underwater because it does the job well and it's not bulky like the plus. However, the quaker is not very effective on the surface. I find using the plus really awkward to use without having to look at it. It also makes the inflator hose lay vertical while I'm horizontal.
Above water, hands down, either DA beats the quakers...
My suggestion would be a sub-duck and a storm whistle.
PM me if you want my DA plus.

Wys

My wife and I both use DA+.

We've not tried the surface air horn yet. But as another diver mentioned, even the subsurface signal is quite loud on the surface. Underwater it is a quaking noise. Most underwater signals will make a similar sound because of the precussion piston technology they use.

I will say this, my instructor has an original hammerhead that I could hear down off Lantana as far as 30' away from him. The DA+ has a more limited range of maybe 12'-15' that you can really hear it. But be warned, you do have to buzz it a couple of times, or one long buzz in order to hear it over the regulator and bubbles.

My wife and I are usually next to each other, but often just out of touch range. So we use them to get each others attention underwater. That's it.

And for that, we're happy with our purchase.

Robert

PS: If you check around some spots online, you can find it cheaper than Divers Direct - but DD will match 110% price guarantee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom