Looking for Info from Users of Intova/SeaLife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPG3K

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone!

I'm about to head to my checkout dives, and after they are done, I will have a few days on the wrecks in the Destin/Pensacola area of Florida, and I am trying to get hooked up with a camera before then.

I am currently interested in the following items. If anyone has any experience with either, any information would be greatly appreciated. I have been unable to far to find any decent reviews on the Intova, minus one online from a shopping site that says it has low battery life. This is not of much concern to me, if the batteries can make it through one dive, then I will consider the battery life to be sufficient :p

I should add, I have been doing photgraphy for some time, both 35mm and Digital, I currently use an older Nikon F1, and a D40 and a D50, I also have some experience with Oly and Nikon P&S cameras. The small differences in the megapixels of these cameras doesn't make me TOO worried, but I'd still like to know what you guys think.

This is the SeaLife setup, with an arm, and a strobe.

SeaLife SL325 ReefMaster Mini Pro Set from LeisurePro.com

This is the two Intova setups.

Intova IC500

Intova IC600

If I am guessing correctly, the SeaLife may be the more quality choice, but I'm also torn because of what I've read recently on these boards regarding the use of Canon G9's, etc, in Canon Housings. My only problem is that those don't include the arms and the strobes. I'm guessing that I will need the strobe eventually.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any ideas!

Hey everyone!

I'm about to head to my checkout dives, and after they are done, I will have a few days on the wrecks in the Destin/Pensacola area of Florida, and I am trying to get hooked up with a camera before then.

If you're just now getting your checkout/certification dives done, you should really get a few more dives under your belt before you increase your task loading adding a camera. You'll find that your checkout dives are more a "lesson to learn" and don't really teach you everything you need to do handle all situations while in the water. Having camera gear only adds distraction to that.

If nothing else get some dives in to work on your trim. Otherwise every time you to to hover just above the bottom you'll just silt up the area you're trying to take a photo in.

If I am guessing correctly, the SeaLife may be the more quality choice, !

If you've got a D40 for above land, you prob won't be real happy with the SeaLife camera. They are basic point and shoots. They are decent, but just don't have the quality that the DSLR's have. Still not a bad camera to start with for the price, but it will leave you wanting more if you've already had a taste of the good stuff.

they have a forum here for SeaLife now that just started.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sealife-salon/

I fully understand the disappointment ahead of me with an UW P&S camera, but at the same time, I'm not willing to spend 1700$ to house my DSLR's. I know there has to be a compromise.

I was also going to add in that last post, but forgot, I wanted a small camera I could keep in a BC pocket for quick use, not a huge one that would become a constant distraction, which I why I liked the detachable strobes.

I definitely don't want to be task loaded, but I snapped quite a few with my disposable during OW Confined Dives, so I'm confident that a few here and there with a small pocket-able camera wouldn't mess me up too badly. I'm not really interested in the close-up/publishable shots right now, just something to bring home to the wife =D.

I fully understand the disappointment ahead of me with an UW P&S camera, but at the same time, I'm not willing to spend 1700$ to house my DSLR's. I know there has to be a compromise.

That's the whole reason I've got the Sealife and not the housing for my Nikon. Add the housing, a strobe, a dome port, then the lens you want and you'll find that $1700 is only the beginning of what you will have to spend for what you want.

I was also going to add in that last post, but forgot, I wanted a small camera I could keep in a BC pocket for quick use, not a huge one that would become a constant distraction, which I why I liked the detachable strobes.

I think one of the "mini's" might be good for keeping in your BC pocket. Just clip it in. I can't tell you how many times I've lost something that I picked up that wasn't clipped in. you sure don't want that to be your camera.

you'll eventually want a strobe if you want to make any decent pics though. If you buy a sealife, get the digital strobe as it can be used on other cameras.

I definitely don't want to be task loaded, but I snapped quite a few with my disposable during OW Confined Dives, so I'm confident that a few here and there with a small pocket-able camera wouldn't mess me up too badly. I'm not really interested in the close-up/publishable shots right now, just something to bring home to the wife =D.

You'll find the digital camera more time consuming underwater than the dispoable point-n-shoots. why? because they have all the buttons to change settings, the LCD Screen for instant review, macro modes, etc.

The fancier camera you get, the more options they have to task load you. but of course for just shooting basic mode snapshots in the beginning it is not as hard.

at least with digital you don't waist a lot of film learning to shoot underwater and have to send it off for developing to learn your results and your problems. You can review that night and try adjustments the next day. it's the only way to go.

My suggestion is to get Canon A570IS or A720IS with Canon Housing. It should be around $300 for both. Later get a real good strobe. I doubt those intova strobe will be any good. I played around with that sealife strobe and trust me you will want to buy a better strobe soon.

Canon internal strobe should be plenty for macro & really close shot plus you'll get a really good surface camera with manual control & unlimited video.

Hmmm... can you give an example of a strobe that would work with the Canon? I don't see the little optical cable slot on the Canon housing for the strobe connections.

Hmmm...

Just checked the size on the Canon, it's definitely not going to be pocket-able at all. That may be a problem for me since I really don't want to lug something large around. I'm not sure I need anything else hanging off my BC right now, but the price for the Canon is definitely tempting. I have used an A620 and loved it. It took amazing photographs for the specs.

I guess the end-all question is going to be what am I comfortable with, and I think, if I have a camera with tons of settings and tons of options, and one that I know can take good pictures if configured properly, I will inevitably spend most of my attention on the camera and not diving. That will probably be a bad thing at this point in my career.

Even if I just get the camera, at 249.00 for the camera itself is a good starting point, I think. That A720is comes to about 380$ from most reputable shops I've checked. May be a little more than what I want to spend right now.

I have the intova IC600 for $120 without the strobe, it a pretty decent point and shoot. I am not into pro picture taking, it is just for memories. It takes decent pictures, if you get in close you will take a nicer shot. I use a defuser on the housing to avoid the dark shad problem with the internal flash while using the housing. I would recommend the red filter, if you are not that deep, and up close it really put back the colors.

I did not want to use my Olympus that cost $300 with a housing, did not want to risk flooding an semi-expensive camera or pay an extra 200 bucks for a housing. The intova housing is a really good one, it has double o-rings. Been down to 90ft, no issues. The Intova is negatively buoyant, so it will float.

The SeaLife has more features for UW picture taking. You can add a wide angle lens. If you are planning to get heavy into UW photograph, the SeaLife may be the better choice. But I just did not want to pay twice the amount for something that will only be a point and shoot for me. I may get a strobe, but the basic intova does a pretty nice job for me right now. On the surface, the optical zoom works pretty nicely on the intova. The Sealife does not have that option when on the surface, it only has a digital zoom.

PS

The intova is pretty small when out of the housing. it slips in the pocket pretty easily for topside uses.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom