Looking for ideas with DPV scooter surface refinishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sebtdi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello All,

I recently purchased a used Submerge UV-26 with quite a bit of mileage and cave scuffs
Scooter.jpeg

As a project over winter, I would like to re-finish or renew the exterior HDPE finish.

A few options I was thinking of:
1) 3M carbon fiber stick-on wrap. come in large rolls. Just not sure how adherent this is underwater. Anyone tried it with success ?
uhHoEpERehVwEHf.jpg

2) Wet-sand to remove scratches then buff with compound;
3) high-speed brass brushing then flame
4) Large commercial heatshrink tube for pipelines
5) ?

Any ideas / help is appreciated.

It's purely aesthetic, I'd leave it. Making it fancy with a sticker or something isn't really necessary unless you just don't like the "well worn" look.

I would be worried that too much "removal" work may compromise the structural integrity of the scooter.

It's purely aesthetic, I'd leave it. Making it fancy with a sticker or something isn't really necessary unless you just don't like the "well worn" look.

I would be worried that too much "removal" work may compromise the structural integrity of the scooter.

Very unlikely unless I gouge the material it\s 3/4" pipe

Very unlikely unless I gouge the material it\s 3/4" pipe

Funny things happen when stress risers are introduced. It doesn't have to cause a catastrophic failure, but under pressure it can definitely deform and flood the scooter. I'm sure you're not planning on taking it to crush depths like those guys in Spain did, and my SS has been to the deepest ass end of Eagle's Nest without issue, but I wouldn't be removing any material if I can help it, especially for cosmetic reasons.

Maybe go to a vehicle wrap place and get something fancy made. They tend to stand up reasonably well to all sorts of abuse.

Shoot Rodney an e-mail for advice, he's a nice guy and would give you the best advice.

3m 1080 works fine in the water. I've wrapped a few things. You will see the scuffs on the scooter through the wrap. I cleaned up the scuffs on an old scooter with spit and 1200 grit sand paper followed by 2000 grit with split then a polisher to finish it and make it look new... it was winter in Chicago and I was bored. :)

Leave the scuffs, they are badges of honor :D

3m 1080 works fine in the water. I've wrapped a few things. You will see the scuffs on the scooter through the wrap. I cleaned up the scuffs on an old scooter with spit and 1200 grit sand paper followed by 2000 grit with split then a polisher to finish it and make it look new... it was winter in Chicago and I was bored. :)

Do you have any pictures? Does the film stick well to HDPE, same as a regular sticker?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom