Looking for great snorkeling (can't dive at present)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pigletfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been off the board since July, when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Now that my treatments are nearing an end, my husband and I are starting to plan a long-awaited and much-needed vacation. Hurray! We plan to go for 7-10 days in early February, after I've had a couple of months to regain some strength.

I am one of the unlucky 13% of breast cancer patients who develop the disease in their 20s or 30s. My age and good physical fitness have been an asset overall in recovering from the surgery and fighting through everything. However, chemo has been difficult and has left me bedridden for weeks at a time. As a result, my muscles have atrophied and my cardio fitness and staminia are now, how shall we say, "diminished". :05: I know I will bounce back, and I should be getting stronger already by the time we go on vacation, but probably not strong enough yet to go scuba diving.

So, for this vacation, we are looking for a Caribbean island where we will find warm water (~80 degrees) and great snorkeling -- not too much current or surge, good vis, and lots of fish (and turtles and rays, please!). Since I am an underwater photographer, I prefer to snorkel in water <5 feet deep (the shallower the better), where I can easily get close to the little critters. We'd also like some topside activities -- easy hikes, gardens to visit, scenic drives, that sort of thing.

In the general region, we've already been to Bonaire, Curacao, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas/St. John, St. Kitts, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Belize (Ambergris Caye and Placencia), and Roatan. For this trip, we'd prefer to go someplace new. Recommendations please! Many thanks!! :D

Glad to hear about your recovery. You deserve a nice, relaxing vacation. My wife is a snorkeler, so we always look for places that have good snorkeling as well as diving for me. This year we went to Turks and Caicos and my wife thought the beach snorkeling was the best she has done and that includes Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Cayman Brac, Hawaii, Maui, Bora Bora, Moorea, Cozumel and Jamaica. Smiths Cove was excellent as was Coral Gardens. The reefs were not pristine but the sea life was pretty good.

Congrats on your recovery! I see you have been to alot of the good places..Coz is great, T and C..Provo and Grand Turk..Bonaire..what about Fiji??? Fiji is absolutely stunning...Never hurts to go back somewhere you have been. as well...I'm sure you will always see something new...Red Sea is supposed to be STUNNING as well
Have fun!

Thanks for the input!

We want to stay in the Caribbean for this vacation because of the fact that I can't dive. So we want to go someplace not too far from home, where we know we can return pretty easily, and won't be kicking myself because all I can do is snorkel. Next summer, once I'm back in shape, we hope to take a 2-week vacation someplace in the Pacific (we've been to Hawaii, Indonesia, and Australia so far).

I will definitely look into T&C. And has anyone been to Barbados?

Cheers!

pigletfish,
congrats on your recovery too.
i see where y'all have been to bonaire already.
would a return trip be a consideration?
regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom