Looking for good diving advise for Crete, Greece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hammer5

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hoping to get some info on good diving operators in Crete as well as any recommendations on accommodations...must be relatively quiet, no loud bangs, booms and other type of chatter that will make me jump. got only two weeks to spend with wife and want to relax....minimal stress a must. night life not really necessary. local shops, eateries.....PEACEFUL AND RELAXING

Thanks

I would be interested in this info too, if anyone can share experience. Thanks!

In the summer Crete is quite crowded usually. I spent a nice week there and most of the resorts in the north are too lively for me. There are many young tourists who party all night long. So try to choose accommodation carefully.
About the diving... Well, many of the dive centers prefer organizing trips for discovery divers. They had a huge boat, they take a lot of beginners to a boring, shallow bay, and sadly the certified divers too. So I'd recommend to look for dive centers in the area where you stay, but check their websites: if they have too large boat usually it means they don't care too much about the needs of certified divers.
A few years ago I dived with the Atlantis in Panormo- the owner said, they have another dive center which has more discovery divers, but in Panormo they usually do normal dives. I liked the place and dives too.
We spent a day in Istron bay where we dived with the Aqualand. It was OK, and there was only one large hotel in the bay, so maybe it's a little better for relaxing.
I know some guys who said the southern side of Crete is much more relaxing, but we made just a short trip there, I don't know anything about possibilities for staying and diving.

Thanks for video link, ElChe. Nice.

I like Greece very much, although the economical crisis hit that country. I think, this summer I wouldn't travel there, but there are plenty of great destinations in the Mediterranean like Malta.

Hello,

I agree with the earlier comments on South/North comparisons.

Tourists are not affected by the current crisis : locals are extremely happy to welcome them !
There is money in the banks, food in the shops, fuel in the stations, etc etc

sorry for the copy/paste from my other post but it's same reply here:

Working a 5th season here, I have posted a few video of some dive sites in the South part of Crete on JeromeSmeets - YouTube

And contributed to Wannadivers Community - Offline with info on all the places I've dived here.

From what I've experienced so far, the South is much better excepted for Elephant Cave (beetween Chania and Rethymno), a must for any diver in Crete.

Happy traveling !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom