Looking for good Dive Sites around Wilmington NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alm2160

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
In need of a good dive site around Wilmington NC and up towards the OBX. Would greatly appreciate recommendations on locations and Dive Shops to go with.

Not too much happening this time of year. Gets busier April/ May. Sites are very much dependent on your experience. Get familiar with NC diving routines and conditions before pushing your experience further/ deeper.
Bigger operators I'd recommend (although I tend towards the 6 packs), and the wrecks for more experienced divers (at least advanced OW & Nitrox):-

Aquatic Safaris out of Wilmington. Wrecks: Hyde, Markham, Cassimir, Normannia, Lobster Wreck (Porta Allegra), City of Houston, John D. Gill;
Olympus out of Morehead City. Wrecks: Papoose, Schurz, Aeolus, Spar, U-352 (at least once), Caribsea, Atlas;
Under Pressure or Dive Hatteras (boat is the Lion's Paw) are the only folks out of Hatteras. Both are 6 packs. Wrecks: Dixie Arrow, British Spendour, Proteus.

Hope that helps some. Let me know what depth you're comfortable with and I'll narrow down the sites (shallower or more technical depth).

Duncan.

Look at Discovery Diving out of Morehead also. I much prefer them to Olympus.

We're in Wilmington as well (Scuba Now). Feel free to check out our website and see everything we have going out. We're going to Ed's Lobster Wreck on January 25th, I'm pumped to try out my new spear gun :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom