looking for family vacation spot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MadisonK

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I have a 3 week old and a 22 month old. We want to take a Carribean vacation this winter sometime. I dive and saltwater flyfish. My wife likes to exercise and sit on the beach but would also like to try a resort dive course. Can anyone reccomend a resort from Belize to the Bahamas that might be of interest to us and our children.

MadisonK:
My wife and I have a 3 week old and a 22 month old. We want to take a Carribean vacation this winter sometime. I dive and saltwater flyfish. My wife likes to exercise and sit on the beach but would also like to try a resort dive course. Can anyone reccomend a resort from Belize to the Bahamas that might be of interest to us and our children.
Walker's Cay in the Abacos(Bahamas) once you mentioned the flyfishing. Ever see Walker's Cay Chronicles on TV? Good diving with Neal Watson's too. Great beaches but it's pretty quiet there. Google Walker's Cay for more info.

MadisonK:

Let me offer you a whole different idea......

Puerto Escondido.

It has beach, surf, diving, hills and miles upon endless miles of interesting scenery to explore. It's easy travelling with babies and although I don't personally fish the local fishermen know not only the good diving spots but also the good fishing spots. I saw huge schools of snappers, jacks, baracuda, eels, rays tuna, some kind of sail-fish or marlin and even whales (orca's) while I was there. There are kilometres of shallow contenental shelf close by and the tourist infrastructure is developed enough to make it interesting but not enough to spoil it. The visibility for diving isn't as good as it is in the gulf but it's still good and the diving (I think) is better in a way because there is so much to explore that hasn't been dived a thousand times.....

R..

Given the children in the vacation equation, you might try Beaches resort in the Turks & Caicos Islands. Not sure what the T&Cs have to offer regarding fly fishing. The resort is a very nice all-inclusive resort. I believe that is does have a resort course scuba program. The diving is very good (but use some one other than the resort's dive boats in order to get to much better dive sites - try Fifi with Caicos Adventures or Turtle Divers). Most importantly, the resort has an excellent childcare program and you can even hire nannies for the children. The caregivers are very good with kids and the nannies are very popular. Given the age of the youngest child that might be the way to go. Beautiful beach and water. Great facilities and lots of nice pools to play in with kids (the pool in the French Village has a huge and very nice children's pool attached to the main pool). When we last stayed there our 2 year old really liked it. We have found it hard to find a resort to take care of children younger than 3 years of age. (Our solution was to get our son's grandpa into diving and now grandpa and grandma follow along and grandma takes care of the little one while grandpa dives with us. An excellent solution, as long as you get along very well with the in-laws.) Good luck. You might also go to the book store and look for a book called something like Caribbean with the Kids; it is a decent source of resorts that work well with children.

Back
Top Bottom