Looking for fabulous snorkeling in shallow water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Annie R

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for incredible snorkeling (best in the world) where the water is only about 3 feet or less over the reef or bottom and there are tons of colorful fish and corals. I'm a diver, but have a shoulder injury and may not be able to dive for awhile. Years ago (50?!?) I was in Bora Bora and was taken out to an atoll which met all of my needs. I don't know what the snorkeling is like there anymore. I like to be really close to the fish (I can't free dive) so I don't want to snorkel where the fish are far below me. Any suggestions? Thanks.

not sure what your budget may be but the snorkeling at Wakatobi is outstanding (resort requires flight from Bali). Snorkelers are treated just like the divers (taken care of). basically you snorkel along a wall covered in coral / fish and then you can go in the shallower areas over the reef. many snorkel sites and a really good house reef.

If you want to stay domestic, maybe Hanauma Bay? It's partially bleached now, but has recovered some since they started requiring reservations. It's slightly overate relative to some other more secluded sites, but by far the most accessible.

There are also a ton of snorkel ops on Oahu, I think most offer a shallow trip as an option.

+1 for Wakatobi Resort. Our snorkel guide advocated for sites we would enjoy and made sure we got on the boat going there. They have 2 or 3 trips a day from the dock.

We have rich friends who only snorkel and (covid excluded) they have been to Misool pretty much every year for three years and are booked for a fourth. For us it was a once in a lifetime dive trip!

Others will know more but I'm told the house reef at Komodo Resort is one of the very best. Not going til April so can't comment with personal experience. Good luck with your shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom