Looking for expert opinion on the following gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a set of equipment and would like some advice on the following equipment.

1) Mares Dragonfly AT BC
2) Mares Abyss Mr22 Reg

Thanks

The MR-12 is a better breathing reg, at about half the price.

ID

I have not had any experience of the BC but I did manage to borrow an Abyss for a weeks diving in Tenerife. My only criticism of the reg was that the 2nd stage was quite heavy and by the end of a dive my jaw ached with the effort of keeping the mouthpiece in. I know Mares have put out another version since then and it may be lighter. Apart from that it certainly delivered plenty of air when required and was easy to breathe. I know several divers who are completely happy with theirs.

The mares stuff I have tried has been reasonable to good (definitely not outstanding or even very good), however, in the UK it is VERY expensive. - in terms of 'bang for your buck' it is very poor. (I expect more performance for the price they charge)

IMHO, you get far better value for money with other top brands like Apeks, Zeagle, and the big S (Scubapro). These generally lost less than Mares, and are better.

Please note, that if the mares prices where you are are slightly below these other brands, then in terms of performance for you money, mares will improve.

Jon T

The Mares stuff in my country is pretty well priced. We can't get brands like Apeks and Zeagle and the ScubaPro stuff is pretty expensive.

Wishihadgills,

To bad you can't get Apeks.I have used the Abyss.I like my Apeks much better.I also tried a Mares Dragonfly Airtrim. I really liked the Airtrim feature. I didn't buy it though,I bought a Dive-Rite Transpac II. It's much more versatile as it can change with my diving.

Good Luck, Tavi

I found a retailer selling Apeks regs, the Tx100 and the Tx50, can someone tell me something about the two and what is a reasonable price to pay. Thanks

Talk to Michelle at Diveinn - online scuba store in Spain.
(www.diveinn.com) She'll give you the lowdown. Her advice is good, English marginal.

Using the USD, I got some prices for the equipment.

1) Mares Abyss Mr 22 Reg USD$314

2) Mares Dragonfly BC USD$430

3) Apeks TX50 Reg USD$225

4) Apeks TX100 Reg USD$ Standing by for price but est. to be about USD$390

What do you all think for a price vs performance comparision?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom