Looking for experienced Scubapro tech to rebuild older regs

Who does a good job of rebuilding older Scubapro regs? My LDS botched my service.

• Best Scubapro service shop

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Vintage regs

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pawleysdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Scubapro MK 10 and G250 rebuild. Diving again after decade layoff. Got MK 10, G250 and R 108 serviced at LDS and they did a less than stellar job. LDS complained that I should not be diving with such old equipment. Charged me almost $100 for service. Said that my MK 10 “creeps” but was within guidelines. Took diving at quarry the next week. G250 “whistled” every breath I took. R 108 free flowed tiny bubbles the whole time. Did not breath easy as I remembered. Adjusting knobs did not help. Don’t want to take back, as I have no confidence in them. Where can I send off regs for upgrades that I have read about on forum?

I'm a hobbyist who buys older regulators such as you have and do my best at rebuilding them. I sell some of them to make room for more and to support my habit. I don't service other's gear, so @rsingler is your go to guy.

However, as @rhwestfall pointed out they are not difficult to service so meeting us in the DIY forum is probably a better place to carry on. We'll take each thing in it's turn. First, the MK10 first stage. Is it a standard or a MK10 Plus? How much creep are we talking about? Once the first stage is sorted, then we can move on to the second stages. The 108 and G250 are different animals; therefore tuning them is a different process. If you're lucky, tuning may be all that's required.

Again, if you really want someone else to re-rebuild your set, rsingler is the guy to contact. If you want to take a shot at it yourself, let's move it to the DIY forum so other's can benefit from your experience.

Lastly, fire your dive shop.

@couv : Excellent commentary as always Robert. I linked you to get that kind of response and/or if you had knowledge of others like @rsingler to list. I know you don't play with those "modern" seconds, or act as a repair facility.

I'll add another shop into the mix... I've been very happy with Airtech in Raliegn N.C. They came highly recommended from another member on this forum, and they've been very good to me as a customer.

So here's the problem, a Scubapro repair shop will only use Scubapro parts. Many of these old parts Scubapro longer makes hence they can not/will not rebuild old Scubapro regs.

This came to me from a life long friend and Scubapro dealer / repair shop, when he told me "that it was the last year for servicing these, I'm out of parts".

So now I do my own with Vintage Double Hose parts. I am actually more happy with the regs performance now then before I was doing them myself.

I laid out less money in tools and parts to service 4 Scubapro 109 /Mk5 making 3 of the 109's 156's balanced 2nd stage. When the shop tried to do the upgrade years ago I was plagued by free flow issues until they brought it back to a 109. This is the 3 season since the rebuild and they still work fine. I did have a free flow on the 1st dive this season, but it was my doing readjusting the orifice. I re-re-adjusted it, fine now.

It's a piston reg. Almost any piston reg can 'whistle'. Could be a lube issue, O-ring, or something else. It would be a good idea to minimally get an IP gauge so you, and we, know more about what 'creep' means in this case. That makes a big difference since the 2nd stage has to be tuned to the first. If the first is giving you issues, likely the 2nd will also.
Creep is a function of the 1st stage piston sealing on the HP seat. Here are issues with the piston sealing surface, or the HP seat most likely. Piston regs can be more of a problem to get to seal properly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom