Looking for Divers with a PFO for a Research Study

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Doug Ebersole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score

As many of you know, I am an interventional cardiologist with an interest in diving medicine. Along those lines, I close PFOs for selected divers who have suffered DCS (some of whom are members of this forum).

Petar DeNoble (of DAN) and I are coordinating a study of divers with PFO who have suffered DCS. It will include those who have had their PFO closed as well as those who have not. Our plan is to get a diving history and to follow these divers for several years.

If you might be interested in participating in this study or know someone who might be interested please PM me or email me at debersole@pol.net. (this includes those of you I’ve worked on previously!). I will gladly review the details of our investigation with you, show you the protocol (once we have it finalized), and go over the consent form.

Douglas Ebersole, MD
Watson Clinic LLP
1600 Lakeland Hills Blvd.
Lakeland, Florida 33805

Thanks, everyone. I've gotten about 10-15 people who are interested so far. We're looking for about 50. If you or anyone you know would consider participating, let me know.

As many of you know, I am an interventional cardiologist with an interest in diving medicine. Along those lines, I close PFOs for selected divers who have suffered DCS (some of whom are members of this forum).

Petar DeNoble (of DAN) and I are coordinating a study of divers with PFO who have suffered DCS. It will include those who have had their PFO closed as well as those who have not. Our plan is to get a diving history and to follow these divers for several years.

If you might be interested in participating in this study or know someone who might be interested please PM me or email me at debersole@pol.net. (this includes those of you I’ve worked on previously!). I will gladly review the details of our investigation with you, show you the protocol (once we have it finalized), and go over the consent form.

Douglas Ebersole, MD
Watson Clinic LLP
1600 Lakeland Hills Blvd.
Lakeland, Florida 33805

As a matter of fact I have recently been diagnosed with a PFO and had if closed about 2 months ago. I will send you a PM.

Just sent you a private email...just diagnosed, consult about the repair on Wednesday.

We've now got final IRB approval for the PFO study. The forms are ready to go out. I've sent PMs and emails to individuals who have contacted me. If you or anyone you know would be interested in participating, please email me at debersole@pol.net.

Thanks, everyone!

Doug

Just bumping this thread up a little.

We are still looking for divers with PFOs who have had decompression sickness. If you or anyone you know would qualify and are interested in participating, please let me know. It is hoped that the data we get from this study will help DAN make recommendations regarding the management of PFOs in divers in the future.

Here is a link to detailed information and all the forms you need.

DAN: Divers Alert Network - Scuba Diving and Dive Safety Association

If anyone has further questions, please PM me here or email me at debersole@pol.net

Thanks!

Doug

"Bump" !!!

We are still looking for divers with a history of DCS who have been found to have a PFO. The study is designed to follow both divers who elected to have their PFO closed as well as those who have elected to be followed without closure. Details of the study and enrollment forms are at:

DAN: Divers Alert Network - Scuba Diving and Dive Safety Association

Additionally, I will be speaking on "PFO and DCS" at the DEMA show in Orlando on November 3rd and 5th as well as at the NACD Conference in Gainesville, Florida on November 12.

Doug

Hi Doug...
I'm been in touch with you a couple of times via PM. I will participate in the study...have not had the PFO closed. I will download the forms and get them in the mail to you. BTW...did my first dive on Saturday since my experience with DCS.

Bev.

Back
Top Bottom