Looking for divers to dive the Blue Hole Santa Rosa,NM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I live in Northern Colorado but like diving the Blue Hole (about 7 hours away.) In the past I've gone there for 3 days at a time. Arrive first day around 2:00PM. Get in a few dives. Next days bunch more dives, final day a couple more before heading back. Have flexible work schedule. Prefer going down Monday, returning Weds. (Weekends can be very crowded.) Would like to schedule a few trips over spring and fall with other certified diver(s). Any interest in meeting down there?

Welcome to ScubaBoard, Dale!

This is a huge site and hard to find your way around when new. We have regional clubs where it is best to ask those questions. If you scroll down to the regional clubs and click on the one for United States>Western United States, you will find the Rocky Mountain Oysters.

When you are there, you will find people frequently start threads about going to the Blue Hole and meeting people. If you ask your question there, you will get a good response (and meet some interesting people).

I will have your thread moved to that forum, because I think you will get a much better response there than in this one.

I'm on an extended stay in Hawaii, but when I get home to CO I'll be looking to find as many dive spots as possible. If you want you can send a PM with your info an I'll put it in my phone for when I get back.

One thing to consider when planning dives during the week is availability of air. Stella, who owns the dive shop and compressor, is usually there only on Fri night (by appointment) and Saturdays and Sundays. It may be difficult to get refills on Monday, Tuesday, and Wed. But, it would certainly be less crowded and the visibility would be great.

I might be interested in a quick trip or two this Spring and Summer. Just let me know when ya'll go and I'll see I can make plans to join ya.

Waterskier1, do you know if Stella Rents BCDs and Regs? Should I plan on renting everything here in CO before a trip to the Blue Hole?

Jewls, I would definitely rent your gear in CO before you go. The rental pool there is very small, you don't want to get there and find out you can't dive because the equipment is unavailable.

I might be interested in a quick trip or two this Spring and Summer. Just let me know when ya'll go and I'll see I can make plans to join ya.

Waterskier1, do you know if Stella Rents BCDs and Regs? Should I plan on renting everything here in CO before a trip to the Blue Hole?

Jewls, I would definitely rent your gear in CO before you go. The rental pool there is very small, you don't want to get there and find out you can't dive because the equipment is unavailable.

What Jason said. :lotsalove:

Stella has gear, but not every piece in every size. She does have tanks, so don't worry about renting those though. I've never rented gear in the USA (it was supplied during my initial training, and I purchased my own after my first week in Bonaire) but I think some shops have a deal for a weekend rental - like pick it up Fri afternoon and return it Mon morning for the cost of only 2 days. Your best bet would be to call around, and then go in ahead of time to make sure the equipment (especially wet suit/dry suit w/ boots/glove/hood, etc) fit. Obviously, the regs don't need fitment, and most shops should have a BC that would fit with no problems.

Also, try to post the dates you settle on in this forum, others may be able to join you.

Colorado Dale,
Based on your ambitions for # of dives, without Stella being open for refills, you would either need at least 8 tanks, or a compressor.

Personally, with that many dives in a row at altitude, I'd be diving with at least a 36% nitrox. So, I'd just bring the tanks.

Let us know when you might be thinking of heading down there.

Thanks Waterskier1 and Jasonmh for the usefull info. I'll defo be renting my gear here before I go.

I'll probably wait until the weather is a bit warmer before I can go. So I'll be checking back frequently to see when others plan to go and hopefully can join in.

I'll probably wait until the weather is a bit warmer before I can go. So I'll be checking back frequently to see when others plan to go and hopefully can join in.

That would not be my recommendation. Now is the ideal time to dive the BH, IMO. The air temperatures there are usually very mild this time of the year. The water temperature is about the same year round because you are diving an outlet for sub-surface water. Once you hit summer, it can be very warm when you are on the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom