Looking for Dive Destination Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ALaskowski

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for recommendations as to good dive package operations that are on the cheap and off the beaten path. I'm thinking preferably on the Atlantic side. Thoughts??

You might want to look at the Corn Islands of Nicaragua. I haven't been, but I'm probably going later this year for my annual "two-weeks-off-the-beaten-path-summer-scuba-diving-trip". (As mentioned on the other forum, last year it was Roatan.)

There's a lot of good info here:

The Corn Islands - Hotels - Fishing - Diving .

It looks safe enough; fly from Miami to Managua, then take Atlantic Airlines to Big Corn Island (don't even have to leave the airport in Managua).

I'm probably staying at one of the smaller hotels ($15 per night for a single room, no A/C but there's a fan and hot water). There's only 1 dive op on Big Corn Island, which is Nautilus. 10-dive package is $280, doesn't matter if you bring your own gear or not, price is the same. Apparently, there's lots of good snorkeling/freediving, too.

I'll be posting a trip report when I get back. This is DEFINITELY off the beaten path! :)

I was looking for a new place and decided on the Inn of Last Resort on Roatan. We are going April 26 - May 3. Chose this resort because it is small, 30 rooms, and close to the town of West End. Still have space if you would like to join us.

I was looking into Corn Island and is definately a possibility! Roatan also sounds promising, but I do keep hearing horror stories about the bug situation. Not sure how bad it actually is though.

I have been in Roatan 2 times and 1 in utila ,never have any problems with bugs or sandflies for sure you will enjoy Roatan ,I was reading rainmaker post about Corn Islands and looks good may be I should plan a trip there too.Good luck on your decision and enjoy either place .

It sound like you may be interested in Old Providence it is Off The Beaten Path and some of the cheapest packages in the Caribbean, with out air fare we are talking average about $99/ night, including accomidtions, dives and food. Depending where you are coming from the air fare may be costly. It looke like you are from the NY area. the last I checked (Jan) for flights from JFK it was under $600 to San Andres and $200 to Old Providence.
Ciao

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom