Looking for Dive Destination Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ALaskowski

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for recommendations as to good dive package operations that are on the cheap and off the beaten path. I'm thinking preferably on the Atlantic side. Thoughts??

Hi Aaron,

If you must go to the Atlantic side, I can recommend diving the Playa del Carmen area. Try diving the Cenotes, which are underwater river systems.

If you decide the Pacific, come visit us at Puerto Vallarta.

greetings from Alex

The cenotes of the Yucatan are world class, if not the best in the world. For something off the beaten path, research the Chinchorro Banks.

There are plenty of dive shops all along the coast from Cancun down to Tulum. I have seen (and used) boat dive packages from $25 a dive on a 10 dive package to around $55 a dive with gear included. Cenote dives cost more for a variety of reasons.

Here are some links to help you research the area,

Playa del Carmen, Mexico's Virtual Guide Book : Playa.Info
Riviera Maya Hotels, Resorts, Rentals: Mexican Caribbean Vacation
Can-Do Maps and travel guides
Hidden Worlds Cenotes Park Yucatan Mexico Riviera Maya

Personally, I like the PDC and Akumal area.

Well, it certainly depends on what you are looking to do. We have a time share in Cancun and dive with Ben at Mayan Aqua Dive offers Cancun Diving, Snorkeling, Cavern Diving, Cozumel Dives & PADI Courses. Excellent operator!

If you are looking for discounted AI's, check with Allen at Brits In Cancun. He has some excellent hotel packages that are very reasonable.

Once you target the area, then you can look for operators. PDC & south think cenotes, although they do have nice reefs and some quieter areas. If you are looking to party, then Cancun has plenty of that.

Regardless of where you go, you will have a great time!

Dive safe!

If you want to get away from the AI's of Playa, try a bit more south - Costa Maya. Off the beaten path can be found here. Mahahual - Xcalak offer some great diving. While the area of Mahahual did suffer a direct hit from hurricane Dean in August 2007 - the area has started to recover. Many hotels and restaurants are now open.

Costa Maya - Mahahual - Majahual - After Hurricane Dean

The village of Mahahual is already seeing tourist return. Yes, the area was hit hard. But, government agencies were very quick to respond. Major work is being done in the village to improve streets. A maelcon (oceanfront street) is being completed. Full size palm trees have been plant for several kilometers. The beach has been restored and made wider. The beach road to the south has been made wider and improved.

The cruise ship pier is scheduled to be back in service by this summer 2008. It was 75% damaged by Dean. This was the second largest cruise port on the Mexican mainland. So, I guess you could say there has been an all out effort to get the area back and running.

As for the diving:

Diving to the south of Rio Bermejo are still very good. This is the area at about 5 km south and below. Area to the north near Rio Indio show some of the damage of hurricane Dean, this was the area of landfall.

Many of the business are open or plan to open very soon. Some are offering discounts as well.

I will be down there next week. Planning on getting some diving in. Depending on weather, hope to check out Chinchorro, again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom