Looking for Discover Scuba 4 dive package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barrod

Contributor
Reaction score
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there,

I'm a pretty new diver. I have a total of 17 dives - almost all in Hawaii - had a great time last month there.

Now a couple of really good friends want to get in on the action - but lack the enthusiasm I had to buy gear and get certified before they know if they'll like it.

We're going to go somewhere - not sure where - but either FL or Mexico or the Caribbean.

If anyone knows of a shop that can rent my two buddys all their gear - hell - even fins, mask, snorkel if possible and take us all out for 4 dives PLEASE let me know.

Cya - Barrod

I think just about any shop can accommodate you.

Before we were certified, we did a DSD with Alvaro from Always Diving in Cancun and then dove with him the rest of the week.

Almost any shop can get this done for you..What it will cost is another matter. Why not just have them do a discover scuba at your LDS facility pool before the trip? If they like it the cost of doing the discover scuba is usually credited towards a ow course at many LDS's.and they can do the 4 certification training dives on the trip.
Once they complete a discover scuba diving session at a resort location they will be required to dive with a pro and pay for the dive and pay additionalfor the pro to dive with them. Add rental fees/tips, and they could have spent close to the same money and bet certified.
They also will be limited to how deep they can go.Cannot go deeper than 40' as discover scuba participants. Of course in some locations standards seem to not apply to them.
Also did you know that the highest accident rate in diving is for discover scuba diving participants in open water? Purchasing gear such as mask/snorkel/fins/boots is truly a very small investment if they want to learn to dive. If they choose that diving is not for them then they have quality snorkel gear to play with. Renting such gear can be uncomfortable / may not fit correctly, and increase difficulties in learning skills.

Almost any shop can get this done for you..What it will cost is another matter. Why not just have them do a discover scuba at your LDS facility pool before the trip? If they like it the cost of doing the discover scuba is usually credited towards a ow course at many LDS's.and they can do the 4 certification training dives on the trip.

Because doing your DSD in a pool really isn't going to give anything near the WOW factor as doing it on a reef. And of course, applying the cost towards OW certification is equally applicable to resort dives.

Once they complete a discover scuba diving session at a resort location they will be required to dive with a pro and pay for the dive and pay additionalfor the pro to dive with them. Add rental fees/tips, and they could have spent close to the same money and bet certified.

Not necessarily. The price we paid for additional dives after our DSD was exactly the same price we would have paid had we been certified. The sites we were able to dive were limited, but that made no difference to us. We were underwater. On a reef. Surrounded by coolness.

There are many resorts in the Caribbean that offer free DSD lessons in the hotel pool. If they like it they can go on and do an ocean dive. If they are really wowed they can complete their certification while on holiday in warm waters. Dive courses are very flexible nowadays, and can suite most peoples needs according to time and location.
You are more likely to get your friends hooked by getting them into the sea as soon as possible on vacation, rather than trying to talk them into a full course back in the States or Canada.

I'd find someone teaching DSD that doesn't have access to a pool. Ensuring that your friends first dives are in the ocean - probably off a beach nearby. I don't think you'll find anybody who will do 4 DSD dives in one day but over two might be possible. At some of these you can buy 2nd/3rd DSD dives at a reduced cost on the same day.

Some to check:

Roatan
Cocoview
Coconut Tree Divers
Native Sons
Bananarama

Utila
Deep Blue Resort
Any of a dozen dive ops in town - afaik there's only a couple pools there.

Curacao
Porto Mari Sports
Kokomo Diving
Atlantis Diving
Relaxed Guided Dives

Bonaire
Bonaire Dive & Adventure

St. Thomas
Blue Island Divers
Coki Beach Dive Club

From BID's website - "pool-like conditions" is probably a nearby beach. Since they're in the marina.

Every DSD dive I've seen included all the gear needed. I know several people who've done one.
You just show up with your medical release.

Back
Top Bottom