Looking for Commercial School and answers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DewTheDewDude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,

I know this is a popular subject, and I've read many other posts like it, but it is my time now for some clarification.

I've been doing plenty of research but was unable to find a page with specific info I'm looking for.

First off I'm looking to get into commercial salvaging, wet welding, topside welding, and possible ROV courses. I'd basically be looking to be a marine technician.

I know people are going to say stay away from this field because of the dedication and completion, but I personally know an inland diving company owner and I'd basically be set. I just need the right certifications.

So I'm looking for a school that offers both certs for welding and commercial diving. I know that teaching welding is very popular at commercial schools but I wasn't positive how the certifications work for them. Do they regularly just teach it? Or do they certify you as well?

Also I'm looking for an international certification for both just for the future in case my path takes me else where.

So which certs am I looking for? I see many schools offering many different ones and I'm just not sure which one I should be looking for. IMCA? ADAS? What cert do I need for the welding? Which school offers both in a package?

I'm also looking to do this class in a somewhat short period of time in a nice location. Does anyone know how the schools in Santa Barbra and San Diego are? Or if there are any in the Caribbean somewhere?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Anyone also know of any schools which focus on marine mechanical work as well as commercial diving?

I'm trying to get a topside welding cert as well as having an international certification for diving.

Any suggestions?

Is the school in Santa Barbra intentionally accredited?

The only internationally accredited school in the U.S. That I am aware of is Divers Institute of Technology in Seattle. Or you go to that school in Canada.

Santa Barbara City College will get you an Associates degree. It's the only school left that I know that does that. Correction, there's Youngs Memorial in Luisiana.

SBCC will cover ROV, probably won't make you a tech or pilot. I'm pretty sure they cover wet welding and if they do they would also train you to top side weld. You have to start topside or you will have no idea what your doing. Look at their web site. SBCC is the most comprehensive program in the U.S. It use to be the main pipeline for Saturation techs and Environmental techs.

If you want to train in California, that is the place to go.

I have not looked at National University's program in San Diego since they lost their accreditation and closed shop in Wilmington, CA. When it was College of Oceaneering they had a program that was a good close second to SBCC. Now I think it's just basic bubble blowing for your 300 hours to get your ADCE certificate. I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom