Looking for comments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silverback

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm looking at setting up a U/W camera and this is what I'm thinking of getting.

I've got a Coolpix 5000 and I'm looking at the Ikelite housing with the DS-50 strop and single arm assemply. Does anyone out there have experence with this kind of setup?

Ikelite seems to give me the best function control, where as others seem to loose some for what ever reason.

Should I consider the DS-125 and if so, why? What's it got over the smaller DS-50?

I dive primarily in the Great Lakes with the once or twice a year vist to warm clear water. Depths do very depending on the diving I'm doing which could be just simple recreational up to deeper mixed gas diving. However, as I'm fairly new to the tech. I won't be taking it there for a while.

Thanks to all in advance.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

I'm sure some Ikelite users will jump in with their opinions but from what I understand the DS125 is stronger and the better choice.

Dee:
I'm sure some Ikelite users will jump in with their opinions but from what I understand the DS125 is stronger and the better choice.

I've had my Ike strobes for years, so its neither of these two models. However, knowning what Ike makes and what I've been doing, etc, etc, I'd be tempted to go with the DS125 because of is ~1 sec recycle time (vs. 3.5sec).

I'd also expect that a DS125 would run at 1/2 power or lower when in a dual strobe configuration, so its recycle time will be virtually "instant", as it is on my dual SS-200's.

However, if your digital camera's capture time isn't fast, then it probably won't matter which strobe...FWIW, I find that most of the time where I really want fast recycle times is when I'm swimming after a pelagic swimmer (turtle, shark, ray, etc). Between shutter lag and storage times, I don't think that most consumer-grade digicams are up to this task, as its not the same as a "burst", precisely because you need strobe for each exposure. YMMV.

Also, you do pay a price in this choice, and that is that a dual strobe rig of DS125's will be pretty dang big/heavy rig. As such, if the user is going to be focusing on macro, I'd go with the smaller units, particularly for one of these modern tiny little digicameras.

-hh

Thanks guys... I am kind-of leaning towards the DS-125 strobe.

I think i'll only be going with a single flash system rather then the dual setup... I can always go that way later on, especially after I can talk my buddy (other half) to carry it and go behind / inside things. hahaha

Silverback,

Just looked at some of your photos...looks as if though you have dove Cuba. How is it????? I'd really like to go there!!

Yes, we were in Cuba. Stayed in the Briases Santa Lucia and dove with the charter service from the Grand Club next door.

Service from EcoTours was excellant and the diving was fantastic. Every dive was something different. Would highly recommend it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom